New Thor TL's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th November 2004, 02:25 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New Thor TL's

Built a pair of Seas Thor TL's the other week and I am really pleased with them, follow link for loads of pics.

http://www.users.on.net/~byindex/Tho...abrication.htm
Old 6th November 2004, 02:39 AM   #2
kneadle is offline kneadle  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kneadle
Nice Work! Thanks for posting these.

Dave
Old 6th November 2004, 02:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: New Thor TL's

Quote:
Originally posted by greenie512
Built a pair of Seas Thor TL's the other week and I am really pleased with them, follow link for loads of pics.

http://www.users.on.net/~byindex/Tho...abrication.htm

Nice job. To attach the grilles invisibly you could have buried neodemium magnets under the front veneer in 4-6-8 places and had matching magnets mounted in the grille frame.
Old 6th November 2004, 03:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

a really nice job, congrats
Old 6th November 2004, 08:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: New Thor TL's

Quote:
Originally posted by rcavictim

Nice job. To attach the grilles invisibly you could have buried neodemium magnets under the front veneer in 4-6-8 places and had matching magnets mounted in the grille frame.

I like the idea of "buried" magnets as a grille fixing. Have you got any details/pics of such? I'm no magnet buff - are these freely available.
Old 6th November 2004, 09:18 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: New Thor TL's

Quote:
Originally posted by greenie512

I like the idea of "buried" magnets as a grille fixing. Have you got any details/pics of such? I'm no magnet buff - are these freely available.
It isn't exactly rocket science, although the formulation of these amazingly strong modern neodemium-iron-boron magbets would probably qualify as such. You can get little ones that are 1/2" diameter and about 3/16" - 1/4" thick that would be perfect for this application if you search ebay. You might pay a dollar each in this size. They are very strong and shatter easily when allowed to jump towards each other. They also do a great job painfully pinching skin so be careful. I'd use epoxy to secure the magnets into a hole recess drilled into the cabinet so that the magnet is buried flush with the surface. Once cured apply the veneer. Mark the magnets with a sharpie felt pen so, that you have all the same pole facing the veneer in the cabinet. N or S doesn't matter. Then make sure the magnets you glue into the grille panel are properly oriented to attract rather than repell. Make sure all your magnet holding holes in the cabinet front and the grille panel are all perfectly aligned before gluing magnets in place.

Once done remove the grille by sliding sideways to get the magnets apart. Pulling straight out might potentially break a magnet under the veneer loose and actuall punch out through the veneer. Yes these are strong little tuggers.

Hide this!Advertise here!