Elliptic crossover ( greater then 4th order LR)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?cspkr&1032037028&openflup&29&4#29

According to Joseph Audio: "The Infinite Slope design we employ is absent of any ringing.
None. Nada. Don't believe me?
Go look at the review of the RM33si in Stereophile, see the waterfall plot of the RM33si. (it's online now)"

To find this, go to the above link and look for the post which begins, "This topic comes up every few months...."

Where Chebychev filters give a steeper slope by allowing ripple in the passband, an eliptic filter has an even steeper slope by allowing ripple in the stop band as well. This is illustrated by the graphs shown by jackinnj. I'm sure that the bloke who first analysed eliptic filters saw applications in the RF communications field and not quality audio.

On the other hand, I have a speaker made by Castle, and the tweeter crossover is second order, but also has a notch filter tuned to the tweeter resonant frequency. It is an old design, there are no resistors at all in the crossover. The frequency response shape is just like the eliptic response shown in the graph above. If this was deliberate, then maybe the use of eliptic filters is not new, and was used commercially decades ago.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.