Grand Slamm attempt

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Did you ever dreamed of owning one of those overprised high end speakers but your common sense couldn't justify the cost (I'm not saying that you just simply couldn't afford them;) ). I was trying to deal with that and in 1996 decided to built my own version of those original and expensive speakers. I was using them for a year and when my interest turned into an open baffle designs those went into storage.

Attachments

• grand1.jpg
    grand1.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 3,010
I've seen recently some other designs on a net. My version used Accuton ceramic mids and tweeter and Focal in the back. It also shares the most important aspect of the original design in that each driver can be phase adjusted by moving it back and forward. The enclosures are made from MDF and since Accuton drivers are sealed the cavity is filled with sand for damping. The finish is done with many coats of auto metallic paint. The bases which support the drivers boxes are made of 1/2" anodized aluminum. Sides made of wood and covered by grill cloth.

Attachments

• grand2.jpg
    grand2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,740
I never had a proper enclosure for bass. If I woud finish those speakers I woul probably use 2 Cabasse 8" woofers in bass-reflex enclosure and I even have 4 of those drivers. That configuration is one of D'Appolito project and was published by Zalytron. But I abandonded that project in favor of more efficient open baffle designs. I only have those head assemblies and I'm puting them for sale in Trade section. Anyone interested can find more info there.:)

Attachments

• grand4.jpg
    grand4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 2,711
Peter Daniel said:
Did you ever dreamed of owning one of those overprised high end speakers but your common sense couldn't justify the cost
Hehehe.. Wilson Audio X-1 Grand SLAMM..
I had privilege to help putting them together and burn them in... :cool:
Our first listening session was dissapointing.. We all knew that it takes time till x-over and speakers are propperly build, but still we expected much more from speaker that costed over 150.000 dutch guilders (about 65-70.000 bucks American) That all setup amps,( Krells, Tetha CD drive and convertor and SME 30 turntable) costed small fortune.. It took them a month to finaly come to life.. But once they did, boy you had to hear them..
But I agree with you.. They are greatly overprised..

I would like to post some pics from my set, but I can't find host that allows hot linking.. :(

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.