Tweeter Opinion - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st November 2004, 09:50 PM   #1
jchappj is offline jchappj  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tweeter Opinion

Hi Everyone. A quick intro and a question for you. I am a relative newbie to speaker building. I have completed a bass guitar cabinet using a single JBL 2245H that turned out pretty good. This in turn has given me a pretty big itch to complete a project a little more adventurous. I've got a decent wood shop so I'm combining two of my favorite interests, music & woodworking. This forum seems like a great resource! OK, at any rate here's the deal:
Latest project- build (5) two-way speakers for hometheater surrounds. Woofers will be the Focal 6W4311, already purchased. Boxes 3/4" MDF and vented. BBPro used to get the optimal Vb. My choice for the tweeter is either the Morel MDT-20 or MDT-30. I was hoping to get opinions on which to use (excepting the obvious cost difference). OR, even opinions on an altogether different one. Any other tips greatly appreciated too!
Thanks,
jchappj
Old 2nd November 2004, 02:55 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default tweeter advice

could use a little information,
1). do you plan on making these for just surrounds or all five of a
five channel system
2).are the focals shielded
3).what are you planning for your cross over point
Old 2nd November 2004, 02:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Links for the specs to your proposed tweeters would be good too... save the ppl browsing the forums from looking for them... hence, allowing them to give a speedy answer
Old 2nd November 2004, 10:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default Re: tweeter advice

Quote:

1). do you plan on making these for just surrounds or all five of a
five channel system
2).are the focals shielded
3).what are you planning for your cross over point
1). They will be the surrounds for a 6.1 system. I'm using a pair of Polk Monitor 5's for the Center.
2). They're unshielded. Here's the MDT-30, and here's the MDT-20. Here's the Focal spec's.
3). The crossover is my next step, I haven't gotten that far yet. The woofer range is 50 Htz-4500kHtz. The tweeters are 1300 and 1600 - 20,000kHtz. I'm using a subwoofer on the system, 150 Htz crossover point for the really deep bass.
Old 4th November 2004, 01:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Well, I received the Focals today from Zalytron. Also got the sides/tops/bottoms glued up on three of the five boxes (limited by number of clamps and that precious commodity-time). Forging (blundering?) ahead and still hoping someone has an opinion one way or another.
Old 4th November 2004, 01:23 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Here's a shot of the cabinet I mentioned BTW... It also has a grill that goes on front. I think it sounds pretty good when I'm gigging. I use a Hartke amplifier and bi-amp the lows to it, the the highs to a David Eden cabinet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jchappjbox.jpg (93.6 KB, 469 views)
Old 4th November 2004, 02:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I used the similar Focal 6w4252 in this speaker Link. The woofer has a slightly bigger peak at 4500 Hz. Crossed over 4th order LR at 2400 Hz I still felt like I needed a notch filter to smooth it out. Keep that in mind if you try it without a notch at first. Crossing over lower will probably eliminate the need for the notch.

I don't have any experience with the Morels so I won't comment there. I am very happy with the Focal T120DX5 I used. They are more expensive than the Morel's though. At any rate, the 6W4311 should do quite well up to at least 2500 Hz, giving you flexibility in choosing a crossover point. As surrounds these speakers might convince you to upgrade your mains.

I like the sound of my bass played through a 2245H, too. It's my music system subwoofer driven by a bridged Hafler DH-500, so I don't do it often. The first time I was enjoying it so much that my then 15 year old, loud hip hop loving daughter reminded me that "We have neighbors, you know."
Old 7th November 2004, 09:06 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Using X-Over Pro I came up with the attached graph for my proposed crossover network. I got the theoretical values from the program then replaced them with values that are close but easily purchasable. I would appreciate opinions as it looks pretty good to me but being new to this I'm not sure. Is there any way to smooth out that ~3dB drop? Thank you. I ended up with Morel MDT-37's BTW...
jchappj
Attached Images
File Type: jpg surrounds.jpg (79.6 KB, 386 views)
Old 7th November 2004, 09:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Here is the design...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg design1.jpg (74.8 KB, 394 views)
Old 18th November 2004, 10:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hmmm... Well, OK. Can anyone tell me how critical it is to mount the inductors perpendicular to each other? If anyone has experience in this thanks for your reply.

Hide this!Advertise here!