Capacitor sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This question is an interesting one indeed-

Especially since about >half the people on this probably board think that there is no major 'capacitor sound' but isntead
'Pyscho acoustic effect' - They could prove me wrong.

Unfortunately i havent had the chance to test an entire system abx with different caps while keeping all else equal-So cannot comment personally. I use stock standard parts for now,until my loudspeakers are of enough fidelity to even reveal anything of this sort.

Cheers!

old kef loudspeakers sounded warm and sweet even though they had a fairly flat frequency response.
they used non-polar electros and usually something like 300uF in line with the speaker input, for numerous reasons.
why not try this, its cheap and might be just what you're listening for

Re: Re: Capacitor sound

Peter Daniel said:

This should give you some insight: http://home.zonnet.nl/geenius/Cap.html

That web page looks like just so much subjective heeby jeeby, like a wine-tasting. A critical piece of information appears to be missing: How were the tests conducted? Were these tests conducted double-blind? If not, ignore the results. Totally. There are lots of other ways to invalidate the study.

Anecdote: A year or so ago, I bought some expensive capacitors for my Lynn Olson Ariel loudspeakers. I noticed a marked improvement in the sound. I became a capacitor True Believer. Recently I was reading an article on the net that debunked expensive caps for audio. Sorry I can't remeber the URL. The article claimed that in double blind studies, people could not tell any difference at all between audiophile caps and rather ordinary ones. So I got to thinking. (It can happen.) Did I fool myself? I don't think so. What I think happened was that the previous owner of the crossovers had roasted the original caps when he soldered them in. It was apparent from inspecting his work that he had not been checked out on the soldering iron.

By the way, the expensive capacitors and the less expensive ones that I replaced them with got exactly the same rating on that web page.

One thing to consider though: Some kinds of electrolytic caps wear out over time. You wouldn't want to put them in an expensive box and then glue the box closed.

Well of course every component in the chain will have SOME effect.
In some cases it will be imperceptable.
In my experience, the "sound" of one capacitor to another is easily found when one is obviously having a detremental effect on the quality of sound.
Judging between two very good cap's would be a much more difficult thing and would probably become very subjective.
I have used the Solens and they were good, in that they did not have a detremental effect on the sound when they were placed in the chain between the amp' and the tweeter!
As to whether you would say that one of the other caps in your list is better or worse, good luck!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.