Visaton FRS8 line array & W170S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• sisters1a.jpg
    sisters1a.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,241
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
FRS8 takes some running in time to expose more highs in my experience. But this is sorted out in a few days time. But in your case I would be afraid of comb filtering above 4.5Khz and less energy (even down by 6dB) in the last octave due to this. I would consider bringing in a supertweeter with a small capacitor (1uf or less) in the crossover.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Comb filtering bugs recordists each time they pick up a single sound source from several differently distanced mics. They better space their mics x3 the source distance to closest mic to soften the phenomenon.
When your ear picks up same source signal from different points like from several FR drivers in the example speaker here, an inverse to the recordist problem occurs with same outcome. Yes the frequency that it will start depends on physical separation between drivers relative to wavelength. The aural result of comb filtering is an audio signal that sounds hollow, diffuse, and thin.
Lobing problems occur with several drivers also. 3 drivers lobe better in a vertical array than 4.

salas said:
FRS8 takes some running in time to expose more highs in my experience. But this is sorted out in a few days time. But in your case I would be afraid of comb filtering above 4.5Khz and less energy (even down by 6dB) in the last octave due to this. I would consider bringing in a supertweeter with a small capacitor (1uf or less) in the crossover.

I was thinking about BEYMA CP21F or SELENIUM ST322 supertweeter.
Do you think that they will do the work.
OK, one stupid question.
Can I use ordinary tweeters (sensitivity 92~95 dB)or do I have to use supertweeter (sensitivity 103 dB or more).

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As I see your woofer cant produce much spl (not more than 84dB per Watt including roomgain under 200Hz). The way you use the FRS8s shows no more than 88dbSPL per watt from them. Quite an inbalance else the 4R7 is not parallel as shown but series to their cap... Anyway you dont need more than 88dB from a tweeter. Pick your favorite 3/4 inch 8 ohm logically priced one.

In my opinion ...

... the FRS8 is not optimal for Line speakers. I tried it by myself some time ago. The problem is that the frequency response of a line source decreases to the heights, because the coupling to the air works better in the lower octaves. To work against this effect you should use FR Speakers, where the frequency response is increasing to the heights. The FRS8 has a more or less perfect flat response, so you will experence a lack of heights if used in line.

To minimize lobing, I would advice to insert the units as near as possible, touching each other would be optimal.

Nice greetings, Berndt

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
cyburgs

They do attempt to rise highs in their crossover by CR parallel.
Thing is when you have an 83-84dB loudspeaker with pushed combfiltered highs and narrow vertical dispersion especially in the last octave, either you find some sweetspot to seat and listen with 'some' fidelity or you bite the bullet and introduce a tweeter.
This takes some experimentation with at least a resistor to match level and a small cap since there is no measurement capability in this case. Anyway this is not a crossoverless speaker in the first place. Else it will remain spatial energy challenged in the highs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.