Visaton FRS8 line array & W170S - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2004, 07:30 AM   #11
Miha is offline Miha  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by salas
FRS8 takes some running in time to expose more highs in my experience. But this is sorted out in a few days time. But in your case I would be afraid of comb filtering above 4.5Khz and less energy (even down by 6dB) in the last octave due to this. I would consider bringing in a supertweeter with a small capacitor (1uf or less) in the crossover.
I was thinking about BEYMA CP21F or SELENIUM ST322 supertweeter.
Do you think that they will do the work.
OK, one stupid question.
Can I use ordinary tweeters (sensitivity 92~95 dB)or do I have to use supertweeter (sensitivity 103 dB or more).
Old 3rd November 2004, 09:29 AM   #12
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

As I see your woofer cant produce much spl (not more than 84dB per Watt including roomgain under 200Hz). The way you use the FRS8s shows no more than 88dbSPL per watt from them. Quite an inbalance else the 4R7 is not parallel as shown but series to their cap... Anyway you dont need more than 88dB from a tweeter. Pick your favorite 3/4 inch 8 ohm logically priced one.
Old 3rd November 2004, 01:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Kinda reminds me of this one.
http://www.timn8er.com/aural_imaging_isa.htm
Old 3rd November 2004, 02:08 PM   #14
diyAudio Chief Moderator

it is 'professionally' endorsed diy

http://plorec.comcom.si/diy.htm
Old 3rd November 2004, 04:23 PM   #15
Cyburgs is offline Cyburgs  Austria
diyAudio Member

Default In my opinion ...

... the FRS8 is not optimal for Line speakers. I tried it by myself some time ago. The problem is that the frequency response of a line source decreases to the heights, because the coupling to the air works better in the lower octaves. To work against this effect you should use FR Speakers, where the frequency response is increasing to the heights. The FRS8 has a more or less perfect flat response, so you will experence a lack of heights if used in line.

To minimize lobing, I would advice to insert the units as near as possible, touching each other would be optimal.

Nice greetings, Berndt
Old 3rd November 2004, 05:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

This is an excellent application of the concept. I heard this one in LasVegas and was impressed with the quality of sound.
http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...fw85k_tboy.pdf
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg tallboy.jpeg (26.1 KB, 415 views)
Old 3rd November 2004, 11:24 PM   #17
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Default cyburgs

They do attempt to rise highs in their crossover by CR parallel.
Thing is when you have an 83-84dB loudspeaker with pushed combfiltered highs and narrow vertical dispersion especially in the last octave, either you find some sweetspot to seat and listen with 'some' fidelity or you bite the bullet and introduce a tweeter.
This takes some experimentation with at least a resistor to match level and a small cap since there is no measurement capability in this case. Anyway this is not a crossoverless speaker in the first place. Else it will remain spatial energy challenged in the highs.

Hide this!Advertise here!