My new speaker project pics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a pic of my new speakers!
They are 1.5" thick baltic birch ply laminated with layers of carbon fiber and rosewood. The tweeter is an Accuton c23-6, the woofer is an Eton 7-372. Crossovers use hovland caps, alphacore inductors, mills resistors and cardas wiring. They are still breaking in but they sound very promising even after one day!
Nate

Attachments

• carbon 1.jpg
    carbon 1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,386
I will try to take some more pics asap. My thoughts on the Eton woofers so far are that they have huge balls! I'm getting some really low and defined bass. I definetly need to tweak the crossovers and cabinets but its not really a good idea until I get new amplification. This project was, at least to me, really expensive (about $1400 usd) but so far the results have been quite rewarding. I was playing them really loud this morning (Outkast's "the Love below"/"Seakerbox") and the enclosures were totally non resonant. When I put my hand on the side, I couldn't feel a thing. For me, they do not require a subwoofer and have excellent highs but the mid band is a little cluttered and recessed, until they are fully broken in I will reserve final judgment.

More pics coming soon
Nate:smash:

Here is the crossover

Here is the crossover, it is very simple. There are only 5 components per channel. Two caps, one inductor and two resistors. They are starting to break in and I've been playing with position which seems to affect them quite a bit. I'm getting happier every day!

Attachments

• crossover1.jpg
    crossover1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 721
Yeah, you got me

Not a luthier, but I have built a number of guitars. The cocobolo rosewood for the fronts was sawn from a 1" x 6" x 5' quartersawn plank. I re-sawed it on my bandsaw and ended up with two great bookmatched sets for guitar sides and then two narrow sets of backs. For about the last two years the wood has been sitting in my shop. I was saving it for something special and I guess that this is it. Its hard to tell from the pics but the wood on the fronts of both speakers is perfectly bookmatched. The Indian rosewood on the corners, top, back and bottom was for another project but got re-appropriated.
I still have enough cocobolo for either a set of narrow subwoofer or bass cabinets, but that will have to wait for another day.
nate

carbon fiber

I purchased the carbon fiber at a marine supply store. I live in a big boating city and it is quite readily available. It is quite pricy, the stuff that I got cost about $7/ft x 24" wide. It is very cool stuff and extremly stiff. It is a little tricky to get a good smooth finish but there are some good books out there as well as websites.
Here is one source for materials, but you should google for more options.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...IN&ID_1=3&ID_2=752&CLEV=4&TRACKNO=J1919149254

Nate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.