Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th October 2004, 03:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Volt in a TL

Click the image to open in full size.

My first go at a TL design. The driver is a Volt D2500.1 10". The line is 1xSd and 8ft long.

The box on top is not going to be part of this system, thats a seperate project to make some bookshelf speakers with an Audax aerogel and a tweet I've had lying around. Its just being used to provide the top end at the moment.

Eventually the Volt will go into a 3 way active system, just experimenting with box design. I've got its brother in a ported box (the one hiding behind the TL).
Old 31st October 2004, 08:43 AM   #2
weidok is offline weidok  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Hi looks great..

Why is the port so close to the woofer???

I'll think is is better to have the port
at the bottum in front or back of the speaker???
Old 31st October 2004, 09:23 AM   #3
Riku-78 is offline Riku-78  Finland
diyAudio Member

I think that it's fairly common to build transmission lines like that. Most designs I have seen have had BOTH the woofer and the port in the bottom, but I don't understand why turning the thing upside down would hurt in any way.

In most TL designs the line starts and ends in the same end of the cabinet. There are, of course, some more complex designs (check this).
Old 31st October 2004, 09:36 AM   #4
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In most TL designs the line starts and ends in the same end of the cabinet. There are, of course, some more complex designs (check this).
Most of the TL designs that I have seen the driver and port are at different ends! I'm not sure if I am too impressed by this quote from the PMC page.

Quote:
The most predictable and accurate absorber is a highly specified foam material that took a vast amount of R&D to derive the correct formula of profile, pore size and density of the polymer. The foam, probably the least visually dramatic of the components is tremendously important.
Looks like the usual egg-crate profiled foam to me!
Old 31st October 2004, 09:45 AM   #5
frasse is offline frasse  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi this is my tl experiment the driver is a ss 21w/8555 its been playing for 2 years no and im thinking of finnish the box. More pics if intresting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tllada31.jpg (43.3 KB, 325 views)
Old 31st October 2004, 09:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Looks like the usual egg-crate profiled foam to me!
To me, too... But I'd sure like to hear what those things sound like. After all, TL cabinets are usually a bit larger than that.
Old 31st October 2004, 10:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Riku-78

To me, too... But I'd sure like to hear what those things sound like. After all, TL cabinets are usually a bit larger than that.
I've heard these in a stereo setup and I liked them.

http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/ib1s.html

Not much help for your ears though

Blackcatsound, if you put the driver at the bottom (turn it upside down) doesn't it help eliminate a 'floor bounce' problem ?

Cheers,

Rob
Old 31st October 2004, 11:10 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Well, they cost a fortune, so they really should sound quite nice...
Old 31st October 2004, 01:04 PM   #9
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Why not build some and see (or hear) what they are like? The cabinets are relatively small so material costs are minimal (especially if you look out for scrap materials).

I very much like my TL woofers (used with OB's) and if I was making a small active speaker, would be very tempted to try the TL approach!
Old 31st October 2004, 02:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

To tell you the truth, that's the "experimental" part of my active monitor project--trying to build a small TL like theirs. The point is I think their talk about the huge amount of damping R&D is just marketing [grass after being processed by a male cow]. I'm going to try a similar design with just ordinary foam and Acousta Stuf.

I can probably get myself into an anechoic chamber with loads of Brel & Kjr stuff in spring... I will post some results then. But first I should build the thing.

Hide this!Advertise here!