Volt in a TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

My first go at a TL design. The driver is a Volt D2500.1 10". The line is 1xSd and 8ft long.

The box on top is not going to be part of this system, thats a seperate project to make some bookshelf speakers with an Audax aerogel and a tweet I've had lying around. Its just being used to provide the top end at the moment.

Eventually the Volt will go into a 3 way active system, just experimenting with box design. I've got its brother in a ported box (the one hiding behind the TL).

I think that it's fairly common to build transmission lines like that. Most designs I have seen have had BOTH the woofer and the port in the bottom, but I don't understand why turning the thing upside down would hurt in any way.

In most TL designs the line starts and ends in the same end of the cabinet. There are, of course, some more complex designs (check this).

In most TL designs the line starts and ends in the same end of the cabinet. There are, of course, some more complex designs (check this).

Most of the TL designs that I have seen the driver and port are at different ends! I'm not sure if I am too impressed by this quote from the PMC page.

The most predictable and accurate absorber is a highly specified foam material that took a vast amount of R&D to derive the correct formula of profile, pore size and density of the polymer. The foam, probably the least visually dramatic of the components is tremendously important.

Looks like the usual egg-crate profiled foam to me! ;)

Hi this is my tl experiment the driver is a ss 21w/8555 its been playing for 2 years no and im thinking of finnish the box. More pics if intresting.

Attachments

• tllada31.jpg
    tllada31.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 383
Riku-78 said:

To me, too... But I'd sure like to hear what those things sound like. After all, TL cabinets are usually a bit larger than that. ;)

I've heard these in a stereo setup and I liked them.

http://www.pmcloudspeaker.com/ib1s.html

Not much help for your ears though:)

Blackcatsound, if you put the driver at the bottom (turn it upside down) doesn't it help eliminate a 'floor bounce' problem ?

Cheers,

Rob

Why not build some and see (or hear) what they are like? The cabinets are relatively small so material costs are minimal (especially if you look out for scrap materials).

I very much like my TL woofers (used with OB's) and if I was making a small active speaker, would be very tempted to try the TL approach! ;)

To tell you the truth, that's the "experimental" part of my active monitor project--trying to build a small TL like theirs. The point is I think their talk about the huge amount of damping R&D is just marketing [grass after being processed by a male cow]. I'm going to try a similar design with just ordinary foam and Acousta Stuf.

I can probably get myself into an anechoic chamber with loads of Brüel & Kjær stuff in spring... I will post some results then. But first I should build the thing.

Nuuk said:
Most of the TL designs that I have seen the driver and port are at different ends! I'm not sure if I am too impressed by this quote from the PMC page.

Given that this is an 8' line, my guess is it's a *folded* TL. Which means the line exit and the driver can be adjacent and still be at opposite ends - certainly, I believe this is why you see it this way so often.

I also know that you don't always want the driver right at the end of the line. On an 8' line, it might go as much as 2-3 feet from the closed end of the line IIRC. All depends on the driver, etc. So none of this is a given, just an option.

C

The box is purely experimental, it ended up that way as it was easiest to build it like that. MDF is cheap.

The driver is at the top more so I don't kick it by accident :)

I'm going to build a second box but this time 11ft long (25Hz) to match the drivers Fs. I'm also going to try some different waddings/foams as they are pretty cheap from places like CPC.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BlackCatSound said:
I'm going to build a second box but this time 11ft long (25Hz) to match the drivers Fs. I'm also going to try some different waddings/foams as they are pretty cheap from places like CPC.

You should really model the line in MJKs software or at least plug it into his tables... an xSection of 1 Sd is probably far too small, and even at 8 ft may be too long.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
BlackCatSound said:
1 Sd and 8ft fits the conventional TL model quite nicely for that driver.

As has been clearly shown in the last 5 years or so (since MJK & Augspurger published) the classical TL model is very hit or miss, and usually far from optimum.

15 minutes spent with MJKs tables will produce a line much more optimal.

For more of an editorial read the 2nd part of:

http://www.t-linespeakers.org/readme1st.html

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.