Microphone suggestion for speaker testing - Thank You in Advance - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2002, 06:47 PM   #1
alvaius is offline alvaius  Canada
diyAudio Member

Question Microphone suggestion for speaker testing - Thank You in Advance

Hello fellow DIYers.

I have the electrical set up
- SoundBlaster Extigy (to my laptop)
- good cassete player for a microphone Pre-amp if needed
- Amplifier - My old NAD2050
- Software [http://www.sumuller.de/audiotester/maine.htm] - cheap and highly recommended!

The Anechoic chamber
- O.K., it is an elevated platform on my outside deck

Now, all I need is a microphone that won't set me back an arm and a leg. Would prefer a studio mike with a good 20-20 response, but I would live with just about any good microphone that has a well calibrated response that I can then compensate the speaker response with.

? If my outdoor response is somewhat anechoic, does it matter if the microphone is unidirection or omnidirectional [responses from experience preferred].

Looking forward to your suggestions and thank you in advance.

Alvaius!
Old 4th July 2002, 07:35 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try "Old Colony Sound Labs" (or something like that) Mitey Mike...
These are quite cheap and they offer a caliberation service (extra) that comes on a floppy that you can load into your pc. For ultimate accuracy I recomend the caliberation it is well worth it. I use one with my "Imp" audio analyzer and it works a treat...
tomcat
Old 4th July 2002, 09:18 PM   #3
CHRIS8 is offline CHRIS8  United States
Account Disabled

Cheapest mic of accuracy is to make your own using a panasonic capsule. You can get capsules with a calibration file, that are rather accurate for $32 + shipping from Kim Giardin. These are the same capsules used in the mitey mike, which in addition is only a tube added to hold the mic capsule. He can be reached at:

kmgrdn@luminet.net

If you use a preamp, please insure it has a linear frequency response, or obtain one that does. You can make your own, or partsexpress.com offers an ok priced, accurate mic preamp also. part number: 245-032 or they also have a velleman kit unit, for about $12, you need to add jacks, case and regulated power supply to use it though. Probably $45-$50 plus labor for that unit in the end.

-Chris
Old 5th July 2002, 07:24 AM   #4
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

I'm using EMM8 mic from
http://www.ibf-akustik.de/

and I'm very happy with it. It's also very reasonably priced and comes with calibration data....

Ergo
Old 5th July 2002, 09:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Linkwitz Lab pages have some info on modifying the Pannasonic capsule to get the most from it.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/sys_test.htm

DocP
Old 5th July 2002, 04:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the great replies. I am going to buy them from Digikey. They are quite inexpensive!
Old 5th July 2002, 05:09 PM   #7
jmiyake is offline jmiyake  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Which mike?

Hi alvaius,
Which Digikey mike are you considering and what is your reasoning regarding that choice?

Thanks,
James
Old 5th July 2002, 11:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I am going to get a couple of each of the following:

WM-60AY and WM-61A. The WM-61 is a bit less sensitive but has better signal to noise. If you look above there is a link to some modifications.

If you go to the Panasonic Web-Site and look at the specs, these things are extremely flat (we are talking less that $5 each!).

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...ts/rec_mic.htm

Look at the response curves, they are no more than a few db off from 20-20 and where I am likely to have cross-over frequencies, i.e. 2K, they are very good!

Jack
Old 5th September 2002, 07:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Question low distortion measuremente mike?

Anybody got any suggestion as to what type of microphone has very low distortion so it could be used to characterize the distortion of a high-quality driver?

The link to Linkwitz labs had a description on how to change the FET in Panasonic electrets from common source to source follower to lower distortion. But I guess one could do better by replacing the FET with an op-amp or maybe by using something other than an electret...

Eric
Old 5th September 2002, 07:40 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Eric,

Instrumentation mics tend to be high polarisation voltage condenser capsules of relatively small diameter. The best manufacturer of these would be B&K who make stunningly good quality and beautiful kit that is a joy to use, as is all their instrumentation kit, but you pay for it. Unless you are willing to remortgage your house, stick with the modified WM-60AY and WM-61A.

Hide this!Advertise here!