diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   I've found some massive oak slabs.. (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/43943-ive-found-some-massive-oak-slabs.html)

VvvvvV 28th October 2004 02:05 AM

I've found some massive oak slabs..

I've recently stumbled on some massive oak slabs about 2 inch thick, 12 feet long and 3 feet wide, what should I do with them, probably some subwoofers?

bzdang 28th October 2004 02:23 AM

God no! Contact a custom furniture maker or put them up on Ebay! They're worth a fortune.

mazeroth 28th October 2004 02:28 AM

Hehe. My Dad's friend needed a few huge oak trees taken down about 8-10 years ago. My Dad and a few guys helped him cut them down and took the trees (in pieces) to a lumberyard where they cut the trees into boards for my Dad. He got to keep all of the wood and it's been drying in the 2nd floor of his huge barn since. I bet he has at least 200 boards up there, and the smallest is probably 2cm thick x 20 cm wide x 4 meters long. Some of them are MAMMOTH. He has no use for them and told me I can take whatever I want. Now I just need to buy a planer :D

wigginjs 28th October 2004 03:11 AM

I love hardwood, underscore love, but it really isn't as well suited for speaker cabinets as a manufactured substrate (such as MDF). It's great for veneering an MDF cabinet though =).

Stocker 28th October 2004 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bzdang
God no! Contact a custom furniture maker or put them up on Ebay! They're worth a fortune.

This could not have been better said.

Kittle 28th October 2004 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stocker

Quote:

Originally posted by bzdang
This could not have been better said.

So your saying speaker cabinets are not furniture :confused:

Hardwood IS good stuff, and why not use good quality wood to make some good quality cabinets? ... or design some cabinets & have a professional cabinet maker make some up for you?

IMO, selling it on ebay would be the true waste.

Chris8sirhC 28th October 2004 03:13 PM

uh, i think it would be more of a waste to use hundreds or maby even thousands of dollars in hardwood on a subwoofer when you could sell it, and spend maby $200 max on some good plywood or mdf, then vineer it and achieve the same look with better performance.

rcavictim 28th October 2004 03:25 PM

Put a large piece in your office and use it to bang your head against instead of a brick wall. Much more classy!

bzdang 28th October 2004 03:44 PM

Think 12 ft long corporate boardroom table. Resaw the 12 ft x 2 inch to two pieces ~ 1 inch thick, and bookmatch [mirror image woodgrain about length centerline] . Gorgeous if the grain is good.
Or instead make veneer and build several tables, sell them all for the same price as the solid wood table. 72 ft^2 of almost uninterrupted oak.

Tim Moorman 28th October 2004 07:14 PM

Wonderful stuff. I'd contact some well respected furniture craftsman and see what they might recommend.

A custom sawyer could perhaps handle it, but nobody has stuff that large anymore. The tree probably dates back to the American or even French Revolution.

I'd definately use it for something exceptional - custom table or doors. Counter tops?

You could make one hell of an AV rack, even ripped to 18" wide, but it seems a bit of a shame to cover it with gear.

Tim