New nearfield 'reference' system design - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2004, 01:49 AM   #11
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: HI Morbo :)

Quote:
Originally posted by THOR
I have jordans in ceramic pots and they are supurb!
Hi THOR, a bit off topic but if you don't mind, how long did it take for your Jordans to break in? I have a pair of jx92s doing time in $15 pine BR cabs pending final measurement and design. They started out very bright (through an all-tube system with two different amps) and are starting to even out, showing great potential, but a hundred hours later they still pack a top end wallop obvious from the next room. Jordan's published curves show a rise, Nelson Pass' don't. What are you hearing?
Old 3rd November 2004, 03:27 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: HI Morbo :)

Quote:
Originally posted by rdf

Hi THOR, a bit off topic but if you don't mind, how long did it take for your Jordans to break in? I have a pair of jx92s doing time in $15 pine BR cabs pending final measurement and design. They started out very bright (through an all-tube system with two different amps) and are starting to even out, showing great potential, but a hundred hours later they still pack a top end wallop obvious from the next room. Jordan's published curves show a rise, Nelson Pass' don't. What are you hearing?
Have you tried setting them up cross-eyed as the Jordan site suggests? I think it's pretty well documented somewhere that these drivers are designed for a rising response on-axis, and a flat response at 10 or 20 degrees off-axis, so you shouldn't judge them straight-on. And positioning them cross-eyed would make for a very wide sweet spot.

I don't own any but I looked that all up during some research for a recent project that didn't happen.

OK, done butting in.
Old 3rd November 2004, 03:48 AM   #13
rdf is offline rdf  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: HI Morbo :)

Quote:
Originally posted by HeatMiser

Have you tried setting them up cross-eyed as the Jordan site suggests?
Thanks HeatMiser, I saw that too before buying and gave it a try. Still pretty hot, enough to be audible a room away, though I can't discount the semi-transparent KMart cabinets. Frequency tailoring sounds like a clever idea. Just wondering if they engineered in too much of a good thing for my tastes.
Old 3rd November 2004, 08:10 PM   #14
morbo is offline morbo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Paul;

Thanks for your comments!

Quote:
I'm also impressed with the 871 and CSS 4.5" driver, the latter in particular. The off axis response and the flat freq response are very impressive. Further this driver has very low distortion. It seems to me that it has some features not often found in one driver - widerange, very low distortion, very high xmax, very smooth on and off axis response, and it is probably a forgiving driver. I'm not keen on metal cone drivers for music that isn't "audiophile." I now prefer drivers that aren't high resolution - paper, poly, etc.
Now that I have a pair of the CSS drivers, I'm inclined to agree. The differences between them and the 871s are not subtle, they are a LOT better, at least run fullrange. I think I also prefer the FR coverage they have (mid/low) to that of the 871s (mid/high). So I may substitiute them in my project. The project would then be CSS 4.5" drivers crossed to the subwoofers @ 40-80 hz, and perhaps tweeters in their own subenclosure brought in wherever I wanted above 3k really... I'm certain that this would be a higher resolution system than the one I described above. To start I'd use the cheaper Behringer analog active XO. Future upgrades would include a behringer DEQ2496 to smooth the frequency response, better woofers (such as the Dayton RS 8"), and a Behringer DCX2496 crossover, in that order.

I think that such a system, withing the limitations I set initially, (nearfield, on axis, low spl) would be a good reference at a very low cost.

Quote:
If you go with fairly sophisticated eq units like behringer ultradriver / deq, then one thing you can do which is interesting is correct the recording. I'm convinced that my enjoyment of music will go up when I get my system set up like this and create custom eq settings with ultracurve for different types of music, possibly even for individual cds or bands, etc.
This is something I have been giving lots of thought to, though not for the reasons you mention above. For one thing, the whole reason to use a fullrange driver as I understand it is because it addresses several design goals - point source radiation, relatively flat power response, and good phase behaviour. As far as I can see, uneven FR has been one of the major weaknesses of 'widerange' drivers. It seems to me this makes them a prime candidate for EQing using something like the Behringer Ultracurve or DACT system. I also wonder if you couldnt use such an EQ to have a seperate EQ curve preset for farfield listening. It seems to me you'd mainly need to use the EQ to add some baffle step compensation, maybe even do this automatically by doing one auto-eq in my nearfield position, and another in a position across the room on a couch.

THOR:

Did you attach the Jordans directly to the pot, or did you make a baffle for them? If directly, how did you attach them? Did it make a perfect seal? I have thought of doing something like this with PVC piipe or flower pots, but they seemed fairly small for the application.

Hide this!Advertise here!