looking for good mid woofer to use with Ribbon Tweeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes I measure using a microphone with JustMLS

I place the mircrophone where I intend the listening axis to be.
Then I measure the woofer at this position, the tweeter at this position and then the woofer & the tweeter at this position.

Then I import the woofer and tweeters independant responses into LSPcad and use the woofer & tweeters measured response as a target.

Then I fiddle with the parameters in the program to get LSPcads simulated response to match the actual measured response of the two drivers together. When mactching the SS 6ohm tweeter with the peerless 8ohm midbass I had to increase the tweeters response by 3db.

Mic

The ECM8000 requires a pre-amp with a 48v phantom power supply if it is to be used for speaker measurements. The Behringer gear, like the Ultra Curve Pro, come with it.

Also, have a look at Seas CA18RNX midwoofers. You may give up some tweeter efficiency to match levels, but it should not be noticeable so long as phase is correct at the crossover.

I have heard the AC G2 paired with a single 87dB Seas and the highs were exceptional. You may have some loss of vertical dispersion compared to a dome, but again, it wasn't noticeable to me.

Tim

Ok, TIM, ill made an pre for my ECM i see a few schematics on the NET. i think that it will be more cheap than build an Real Time Analizer.

i still looking for others drivers....

in the center dont will be have problems for the MTM conf, but for the 2 frontal speakers maybe ill get some problems

thanks for all your comments guys.

well look at this.

Frontal (too much to lower here 6dB)
---------
1 Tweeter G2Si 6 Ohms / 96dB
1 Eton 4-300 8 Ohms / 88dB
1 Eton 8-800 8 Ohms / 89dB

Center (looks like i need to lower like 3dB)
--------
1 Tweeter G2Si 6 Ohms / 96dB
2 Eton 5-880 / 87 dB

this will be ok? the sens is not too low in the Frontal ?

or i need to consider to change the eton for morel or phl?

Efficiency

samsagaz

I can only speculate as to how all that might sound. I have not heard any of the drivers, except the tweeter.

On paper, it should work just fine, so long as levels are matched(L pad on tweeter). But keep in mind that the blend of drivers is really more about the crossover design than the relative efficiency of each part, although it does seem to be less desirable for optimum sound to pad the tweeter so heavily.

With any kind of baffle step correction, the efficiency will drift toward mid 80's. That may be OK for ss amps and Home Theater conditions.

If you are so inclined, you might also try a high efficiency version with a mid or midbass in the mid 90's dB range, and add a sub w/plate amp.
With a small class A amp or tube gear, the sound can be pretty glorious.

Tim

I have the eton 7-380 in my current speakers. It's an older driver not available any more, but the midrange is excellent on it. You can really hear the textures, nuances and detail in the sound. The base is great for a 7" driver, but not super deep.

The big challenge with the eton is controlling the breakup mode at the top of the response curve, just before roll off. The 5-880 also has the peak. It will certainly affect the cut off frequency you can use in making your cross over. For that reason alone, you should be careful if you are considering the 5-880.

The 4-300 would be much easier to cross to the ribbon, so if the budget is there, I would think things would work well going that root. Another advantage would be that you could use a dedicated bass driver rather than a mid-bass.

Make sure to include the baffle step in your planning - you may need even greater efficiency in the bass when you factor in that wrinkle.

Maybe you can tell us a little more about your design criteria to help with the selection process?

wow

trans192, thanks for your comments, i dont have any problem abt the design, ill design the box taking care abt the driver that i choice...

i mean ill simulate it and see if it will work better in closed or vented mode.

dont know if you see what i was planning to do.

the full list of proyects that ill do are...

subwoofer, that already are choiced NHT1259
center speaker in MTM mode. 1 G2Si + 2 Eton 5-880

and 2 frontals
1 Tweeter G2Si
1 Eton 4-300
1 Eton 8-800 - (vented)

thanks for your comments

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.