looking for good mid woofer to use with Ribbon Tweeter. - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th October 2004, 10:56 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Hi-Vi F6: the curve looks ok, but the sens is 88dB is the same than eton... and the eton curve looks better
Old 29th October 2004, 03:38 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

I have the eton 7-380 in my current speakers. It's an older driver not available any more, but the midrange is excellent on it. You can really hear the textures, nuances and detail in the sound. The base is great for a 7" driver, but not super deep.

The big challenge with the eton is controlling the breakup mode at the top of the response curve, just before roll off. The 5-880 also has the peak. It will certainly affect the cut off frequency you can use in making your cross over. For that reason alone, you should be careful if you are considering the 5-880.

The 4-300 would be much easier to cross to the ribbon, so if the budget is there, I would think things would work well going that root. Another advantage would be that you could use a dedicated bass driver rather than a mid-bass.

Make sure to include the baffle step in your planning - you may need even greater efficiency in the bass when you factor in that wrinkle.

Maybe you can tell us a little more about your design criteria to help with the selection process?
Old 29th October 2004, 04:33 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

wow

trans192, thanks for your comments, i dont have any problem abt the design, ill design the box taking care abt the driver that i choice...

i mean ill simulate it and see if it will work better in closed or vented mode.

dont know if you see what i was planning to do.

the full list of proyects that ill do are...

subwoofer, that already are choiced NHT1259
center speaker in MTM mode. 1 G2Si + 2 Eton 5-880

and 2 frontals
1 Tweeter G2Si
1 Eton 4-300
1 Eton 8-800 - (vented)

thanks for your comments

Hide this!Advertise here!