Squash Balls or Spikes...Maybe both!!??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My appartment has concrete floors with foam layer then a chip board layer on top.

I have found some sound proofing underlay and am laying wood on top op that. So

Wood Flooring
Sound proofing underlay
Chipboard
Foam
Concrete

My speakers are 15inch Tannoy DC's in a Berkerley cabinet which weigh about 41kg each. Oh yeah....I'm on the first floor!

I need to make sure I don't p##s off my neigbours with the new hard flooring.

Which would be best spikes or squash ball cut in half or........?

My head hurts

Ok read that...

So solid spiking helps reduce minute see-sawing whilst the driver is on excursion....but some sort of complient material also stops vibration traveling through to the floor.

Although my base floor is concrete I have chipboard on top.

Any mix of say spikes and slightly complient materials can re-introduce the rocking.

Spiking alone will allow the speaker to 'dump' straight onto the floor. As this will be a laminate/real wood layer on top of a sound proofing underlay the flooring may well vibrate.

soooooooo...

Not including cutting out the flooring around the speaker and mounting it on the concrete...does anyone have any ideas?

PS the cabs weigh about 40kg now and may get heavier!

(sorry for my english)

You must to souspend the cabinat at a subsonic resonant frequency
(1-2 Hz) with the minimun possible damping.

Not possible with rubber balls or similar ( you can try.......)
It is possible with " AIR SPRINGS"
warning : the result will be incredible. :)

P.S. :put the spikes six feet under !
Hi.

I use 3 spikes on my speaker stands, and then I use Harmonix spike bases similar to these (mine are black):

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/harmonix.htm

Position your speakers carefully, take your time.
Then put these under the spikes.
These have a kind of a rubber that after some time,with the speakers weight, will stick to the floor (although they can be removed quite easily).
They work very well, better than the spikes directly on my pavement.
Also an advantage is that you can cake your speakers out, but their position is marked, these bases will be sticked on the floor, you know exactly where to put your speakers back again.

My wife tells me when I am the boss!

I have been promising her hardwood flooring for about 2years so once we get it I had better look after it. There is NO WAY I am going to be the first to damage it! Not by accident or drilling through it!

Ill try the 3 spike arrangement on those puck things.

Here are my babies

Attachments

• big boys!.jpg
    big boys!.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 194
bad vibes 2

(sorry for my english)
Hi boys,
Well, mass for compilance = resonant frequency (Fr) ,ok?
two possibility :
a) Fr into audio-band . The system work on " elastic reaction" ( this is bad thing)
b) Fr below the audio-band . The system work on " inertial reaction"
( this is good thing)
If you use spikes you can obtain Fr max 3-4 Khz and minimum some hundred Hz , it depends.
Yes, spikes = springs , ok?
The goal is to obtain a subsonical Fr so the "forces exchange" is minimum and the relative immobilyty is preserved (= no vibes).
Spikes pseudo-theory is a storical error ( or a mistification?),
if you design a high-end speaker ( or any audio component) with
a"wonder" set of spikes you don't know basic laws of mechanics.
I hope my translate be decent ( i'm not sure..) and excuse me for too much technical simplifications, but the " subject " ( vibes) is too much difficult for me( in english :) . )
Experience: put 3 air spring under the speakers, then the source,
then the preamplifier........
In USA , look at the Newport air spring.
They are much expansive , but the concept is simply !
With a bit of fantasy .........
DO IT YOURSELF ! :)

Hi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.