crossover help for Hales speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have these Hales speakers. They were prototypes for the Transcendence Three (I believe) and thus don't have the production tweeters or the separate mid/tweet baffle. Does anyone have any crossover information that might pertain to them? I have contacted Mr. Hales but haven't heard anything [yet] :( Thanks!

Attachments

• hales.jpg
    hales.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 213
Tim, no, they don't have any crossovers. They are intended to be tri-wired but I don't [yet :)] have the amplifier channels for them. The tweet is a Vifa, mid is a Seas, and woofers are Focals. I cannot get the tweet and woofer out of the enclosure to check model numbers, and the mid is in a plastic enclosure that I was afraid would break if I separated the mid from it.

OH

Yeah, you do need help. For me to hazard a guess would be pointless. You need the crossover schematic. I'd keep trying on the various sites like Audio Asylum - Speakers, and so on.

Worse case, you'll have to learn to measure your speakers using something like Speaker Workshop and a mic/preamp set-up. Then build the crossover.

What are they - 8" woof, 5" mid, 1" dome?

Tim

8", 4.5", and 1". They are all custom for Hales speakers as well. Yeah, I wish I had a MLSSA at home and I could go ahead and do that :cool: Since these drivers never went together from the factory I'm not even sure if production crossovers would even work. Paul told me he had the crossover he planned to use with these speakers before the tweeter was changed, but he never got the schematic to me :(

Thanks Tim, I will keep trying! I just noticed you are from IN :)

Measurements

Evan,

You really are in trouble if nothing was done at the factory to assemble the crossover components, and the drivers are all custom. Yikes! Measurements needed.

Might be an enterprising student over at the Uni that could do some measurements for you.

You might also find the surplus yard Purdue uses to dump stuff no longer needed, and pick up as many coils, capacitors, and resistors as you can. You can spend a lot on this stuff from the usual sources.

You could also cross the woofer actively to the mid, and then try passive components for the mid/tweet. The Seas 4.5" probably wasn't used below 250 - 300 Hz. Then crossed to the tweet in the 2.5KHz - 3KHz region. Speculation only, mind you.

Tim

The midrange looks like a W14CY from seas so is either a midbass or a true midrange specifically designed for Hales.

If it is just a slight modification of the W14 I would guess the tweeter xover to be around 2.5k aswell.

The bass xover (if its the mid/bass Seas) could be anywhere between 100hz to about 400hz, but again I agree with tim here and would place it at about 200-300.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.