Center Channel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was hoping to get some feedback for a design I have been working on. It's a center channel speaker for my home theater. Attached is a sketch of the front baffle and the crossover I was thinking of using. It's a horizontal MTM using two of the new Dayton Reference 6" RS150S-8 and a Seas 27TDFC tweeter. The enclosure is approximately 1ft^3 (28L) tuned to 48Hz. I'd particularly be interested in feedback on my crossover as I have very little experience designing passive networks.

Attachments

• center.jpg
    center.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 484
Is beaming a desirable quality for center channel??

Personal Experience: For a center channel, some beaming is desirable.

Large diameter coaxial drivers have sounded best for center channel.

Started with old Jenson Tri-axial. Current center is Lambda TD15S with a coaxially mounted Seas Millenium, LR6 @1000Hz. Trim Millenium front plate, metal tripod coaxial mount in front of TD15S

Motion, you have a dedicated theatre don't you? In this case you could make it a tower speaker and orient it vertically. From a looks point of view, I think it would look better if it were a bit less chunky - longer in the longest dimension and not as wide.

If it MUST be oriented horizontally then perhaps you should consider:

* 3 way with a small midrange with a tweeter above
* a coax driver like the 6.5" seas with a matching midbass next to it

why not make a 2.5-way design with the same units and configuration. You do not have the problems of a normal horizontal MTM, and still have the looks of a normal center. Also, you don't need to make a baffle step compensation circuit :)

I still prefer the vertical MTM...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.