ATC SCM100ASL speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2002, 04:57 AM   #1
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Default ATC SCM100ASL speakers

Has anyone here ever heard of the ATC company in England, and their line of SCM speakers? A friend of mine has a pair of scm100 speakers that he bought new for $50000 or so he says... Does anybody have any ideas what they would sell for now (used)???
I have auditioned the set that my friend owns and they are a truly amazing set of speakers. I have never heard another system that sounded so clean, well placed, balanced, symmetrical, powerful, uncolored and pure! When you listen to these speakers with a good transport and DAC and front end with bal O/P's, YOU ARE THERE!, at the recording studio/live hall whatever.
Old 30th June 2002, 12:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Duo

I have not heard those models, but ATC started off as a very high end studio monitor manufacturer, and still have a good market share in this area.

In fact, if you ever listen to anything recorded in the UK or Ireland, it was probably monitored at some stage on a set of ATCs.

As too value, I have no idea, strangely people don't seem to sell them once they have bought them!!!

Cheers

Al
Old 1st July 2002, 07:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

True, I've looked everywhere for set for sale used... nuthin'
nowhere, seems like when people buy a pair, they're so attached to them that they want them to be buried with them when they die!
Old 24th July 2002, 04:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

i have a pair of the atc scm100sl - and i love them....!
Old 28th July 2002, 06:55 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cool, did you get your set new???
Old 30th July 2002, 06:39 AM   #6
clyde is offline clyde  United States
diyAudio Member

The most notable aspect of ATM speakers (starting with the SCM50 model) is their proprietary 3" dome midrange driver, also used in several other top notch professional monitors.

I have the ATC mid range driver in a monitor made by Nelson-Reed, who went out of business after an earthquake destroyed their factory in California. It is a great sounding speaker, only bettered in my opinion by certain ribbon speakers that I now listen to most of the time.

There is an excellent DIY way to get ATC speakers. Wilmslow Audio in the UK has an exclusive kit for both the ATC50 and 100: https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/..._Kits_12.html, which will probably cost less than buying used ATC's. Also consider Wilmslow's own speaker kit, which uses the ATC dome midrange but better tweaters and woofers than ATC for even less money: https://secure.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/...ort__114.html.
Old 30th July 2002, 03:56 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hi duo !

yes i got mine from new, i paid $ 7000......the best money i ever spend.
these speakers are amazing. one of there secrets is of cause the 3" mid dome but the designers capabilities shouldn't be underestimated either. the 3 driveunits are very well integrated - much better than most other brands. the speakers are very easy to set up also - large or small room - no problems.
if you want a pair, please do your self a favor and get the active model - the one with built in electronic crossover and 3 amps.
the active is way better than the passive...allways!!!!!
its easy to find a used pair of the atc 100sla or 50sla, i have seen several for sale in the uk for about 3500 and 5000...good luck
Old 30th July 2002, 04:24 PM   #8
clyde is offline clyde  United States
diyAudio Member

Active versions of the ATC50 and 100 are also available as DIY kits from Wilmslow.
Old 30th July 2002, 05:03 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

hi clyde !
yes i know that wilmslow also sell the active ones but i personally would go for a used pair of the scm 100sla.
a one year old pair (black ash) just went fot 3400 on ebay.uk.
and the wilmslow version is NOT identical with the original atc.

rock on
T
Old 30th July 2002, 06:05 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

check this :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...item=894533050

Hide this!Advertise here!