low cost (£70 max), near field monitor/bookshelf speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to build a set of small near field monitor / book shelf speakers for my little sis for uni, I have a total budget of about £70 to build them and these are my criteria:

Small, about a 10-12l cabinet is my max size

Acoustically very balanced and revealing, these will be used for mixing music on, we need to be able to hear as much as possible.

They need to have a reasonable quality finish to them, this could be veneer over an MDF cabinet or I could use Birch ply for the cabinet and just sand and stain/laquer that.

My budget of £70 must cover everything, Drivers, cabinet materials and finish, Crossover components, terminals.

Do you guys have any suggestions on designs, drivers or even a suitable half finished aborted project or parts for sale?

I did hear a set of Audax 5 1/4" Aerogels which I thought were damn good for the money in about 12l ported cabinets.

Thanks guys

Headphones are good but can get a bit tiresome and can also be a pain when your mixing for someone and they want to keep hearing what your doing (although sometimes its a godsend when they can't)

Both the Fostex and Tangbands look ok, the TB may require some bass enhancement though. Anyone know of a source for either of these in the UK?

I don't think there is a UK distributor for Fostex however, Madisound offers great rates on international shipping. You may want to send them an e-mail to find out. Otherwise it looks like there may be someone in France or Sweden but I think their stock is limited.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.