TQWT with Gradient W160 AL and Tangband W3-871S

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
iI would like to build a TQWT with this speakers and want to know you say to my construction

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

there are three parts:
- A socket (e.g. filled with Quarzsand)
- The TQWT-Bass-Part with the Gradient
- and a closed 6dm³ with the TB W3-871S

Some more data:
length of the Line: 127 cm
at the beginning: 126 cm²
at the end: 504 cm²

I think your concept is good. It depends on your power handling expectations and XO point for the W3-871S. I chose to make the box for the W3 a little smaller and XO a little high to get a significant power handling increase. I'm not finished with the XO yet but it's looking like a 2nd order around 500 Hz. I've been waiting since Sept 24 for my woofers to arrive from Acoustic Technologies. I guess 500Hz is actually considered low for a two way. I'm used to thinking full range for the W3 :xeye:

joensd said:

Just checked it myself.:D
So you know mine is a straight, unfolded, untapered TL.
Did you make a simulation with Martin´s software?
Wouldn´t mind if you´d send me the file.;)

I think, since the lower portion is intended for LF, there's less reason to position the driver in the center of the line. As long as you get good response to the XO point you should be able to move it up, along with the HF driver, to a height closer to ear level, IMHO.

I think, since the lower portion is intended for LF, there's less reason to position the driver in the center of the line. As long as you get good response to the XO point you should be able to move it up, along with the HF driver, to a height closer to ear level, IMHO.
Yeah, I get that.
The Gradient was supposed to run fullrange but IMO the treble is not very good even in the sweetest of spots.
That´s why the TB had to help out.
As the front baffle is screwed I might just change the whole plan/baffle ...

XO

I too thought of an XO Freq of 500 Hz, but I'm a real newbie and wasn't sure i should post it.

Ithink i'm trying to get a Mic in the next month and start to make some measurings (i hope that's the right word) on my own.

Plan B is to contact a local dealer to ask for support.

@Timn8er: what a size would you recommend for the w3 chambre?

I'm don't get what tis sentence says:

I guess 500Hz is actually considered low for a two way. I'm used to thinking full range for the W3

Most 2-ways have a crossover frequency of 2-3k as most of them have a tweeter instead of a 3"-fullrange.

I´m running the system at 338Hz-XO at the moment and I still have a lot of that fullrange-character.
Will definitely try a 24dB/12dB-XO at different frequencies and let you know how it turns out (although passive XO´s sound different anyway...)

Will definitely try a 24dB/12dB-XO at different frequencies and let you know how it turns out (although passive XO´s sound different anyway...)

I did something similar with different drivers (Fostex, Peerless). You should keep in mind that you will introduce audible group delay if you xo @ low frequencies with steep filters. 24db filters beneath 500 Hz won't deliver satisfactory results in this regard. 18/18dB (acoustic) @ 500 Hz seems to be an acceptable compromise.

Hello, how have your projects going on?
No technical progress so far as I needed to oil the enclosures before the cold winter starts.
Will try soon.

I did something similar with different drivers (Fostex, Peerless). You should keep in mind that you will introduce audible group delay if you xo @ low frequencies with steep filters. 24db filters beneath 500 Hz won't deliver satisfactory results in this regard. 18/18dB (acoustic) @ 500 Hz seems to be an acceptable compromise.
At the moment I´m crossing 12dB-LR-active at 338Hz and it sounds very good for a first attempt.
Of course power handling of the TB is not massive.

I´m still quite a newbie and haven´t read up too much.
So much to consider.
Just have to get a mike soon and get more into the real thing.

Thanks so much for the suggestions anyway.
Will look into group delays and the sort.

Which 18dB-filters are you talking about?
As I understand the group delay depends very much on the slope you choose and not (only) on the order of the filter or am I completely off here?

You are right. I was too sloppy in my formulation. Group delay depends on the slope of the summed phase response. Some crossover types of higher order are better in this regard than other filters of lower order.

12 dB LR may be good if the TB driver is up to the task. I use 3rd order Butterworth (passive) as it has the added bonus of a constant power response (which I find quite important for the mid frequencies).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.