Minimus 7 Baffle Mod

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I found this pair of Radio Shack Minimus 7 speakers for next to nothing at a pawn shop so I had to buy them. I hooked them up and woofers in both were blown.

I gutted the cabinets, took some measurements, and made some 1/2" MDF baffles for the fronts. I had a pair of TB W3-871s lying around so they ended up on the new baffles. I kept the enclosures sealed and have no network on the drivers...yet. I might try a notch filter in the future.

The speakers don't go as low as some of the W3 ported designs, but sound very good and play surprisingly loud. I need to build a mini sub to go with them to fill in the low end.

The baffles were real easy to make and no other cuts or holes were made to the aluminum enclosures. I'm sure the same idea can be used with the other Aluminum mini speakers to utilize other drivers.

Attachments

• minimusw3 testing.jpg
    minimusw3 testing.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 382
"What about its 10-20kHz range? Do you feel it has adequate air?"

I've been listening to the W3-871s in different projects for about a year now and have always liked how they handled the higher octaves. I have never felt like I was missing anything in the music. If you do feel that something is missing all you have to do is look over at the tiny speaker cones producing all that sound and they put a smile on your face. It is amazing what they can do. I've never had unrealistic expectations for these drivers, so I've never been disappointed.

I do have to take care of cabinet resonances with these aluminum enclosures. I've noticed a large peak in the frequency response at 5kHz. I will try some different damping materials to see what happens.

(Moderators, feel free to move this thread to the fullrange forum. I hadn't noticed it until after I started posting.)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.