Questions, questions, from newb DIYer - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th July 2002, 08:28 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Phatman91624
I think I figured out what it is thats happening here...in order to simplify this process, as well as keep the cost down, maybe Adire just decided to order all the crossover components from one source, and to get the closest values possible to their design from that source. This makes sense since the values are only off by .04 and .03 millihenries. I also see a discrepency in one of the capacitors, where the design calls for a 30 uF cap, but a 31 uF is bought instead. This does make sense, since this speaker was designed for entry into an extremely low budget speaker contest ($100 or under for all parts for both speakers, not including cabinets) Does that sound about right to you guys, did I have my little mini-panic attack for nothing? Thanks for your time.

Mike
Old 17th July 2002, 03:21 AM   #32
diyAudio Moderator

hows it going Phatman - any progress so far?
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 17th July 2002, 07:56 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Ahh yes, progress indeed, thank you for asking I have the boxes completeley assembled, minus the front faces (which have all the holes cut out of), I'm still waiting for my crossover components to come in (should be here tomorrow) so that i can build the crossovers and get those in the box and then put everything together. I now see what you guys mean by "this should be a calm and relaxing experience" it sure is, theres nothing like coming home from day at work and taking your agressions out on a piece of wood Thanks for your help guys, youve made this a success, thus far.

Mike
Old 17th July 2002, 08:43 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Oh, there is one other thing i was meaning to ask...do you guys reccommend that i stuff these speakers with polyfill? If so how much per speaker, thanks a lot.

Mike
Old 17th July 2002, 10:31 PM   #35
Keld is offline Keld  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi
Normally you dont stuff a ported speaker, you put lining at the inside thats aprox. 1" of some dampning material. but be sure not to get it to close to the vent (double the vent diameter).
Like always its a matter of try and listen.

By the way next time : In stead of waiting for waiting for x-over part to arrive put double pairs of binding posts on your box (one pair for tweeter and one for woofer(s), now you have the xo on the outside so its easy to "tweak around" and your speakers are prepared for biamping if you should catch the audiofilius desease.

Keld
Old 30th July 2002, 02:00 PM   #36
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Any more news?!?!? Its been a while, have you had a chance to listen to them yet?? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 30th July 2002, 07:12 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Hehe, inquiring minds must also know that this kind of stuff takes time . Though surely i would have been done by now if I hadnt been so busy as of late. I am very close to being done. All i have to do is attach the front faces, and then i can give em a test listen, and after that i start the long process of putting on the finish. So far I've had no further questions thanks to the thorough answers you guys gave me before, maybe ill take some preliminary pictures with my(very bad quality)digital camera and post em up here. Thanks and Regards.

Mike
Old 1st August 2002, 05:13 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...?id=4291546707

Click the image to open in full size.

The top link is a link to a couple more pictures of the speakers. Well thats how they look as they stand now, and I must say from my preliminary listening they meet and exceed my every expectation, Im more than satisfied with these speakers and they arnt even completely finished yet I do have one question, the speakers wont be as close as they are now in the end this was just for testing purposes, but should i have the speakers positioned as they are now, or the reverse of how they are. What im trying to figure out is tweeter placement, whether the tweeters should be closer together or futher apart. Thank you for your time.

Mike
Old 1st August 2002, 09:54 AM   #39
diyAudio Moderator

Looking good, well done!

It's all too dependant on room effects to give a proper answer, just try both ways and see which way you prefer!
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 2nd August 2002, 01:29 PM   #40
Schaef is offline Schaef  United States
diyAudio Member

Great job! Looks like you had little to worry about for construction! Did you do anything to seal up the edges inside the box? (Just to make sure it was airtight?) Just curious.

As to placement, sorry, I have no idea. I think I'd have to say Pinkmouse's suggestion is best.

Hide this!Advertise here!