Vented box tuning frequency

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yeah, I've modeled it in WINISD.
the driver Fs=37hz(resonance frequency), What you mentioned kelticwizard was for a maximally flat response. I've kind of stretched the curve a bit to my numbers.

what I want to know is there any fixed formula I have to use to arrive at a port tuning frequency vis-a-vis the F3 of the loaded driver ?

As the driver frequency starts to get closer to the port frequency, the driver begins to get loaded and damped and that restricts driver excursion. That is the reason i wanted the F3 to be a little away from the Fb. What should that gap be ideally ?

Originally posted by manek
what I want to know is there any fixed formula I have to use to arrive at a port tuning frequency vis-a-vis the F3 of the loaded driver ?

There is no such relationship.

Originally posted by manek
As the driver frequency starts to get closer to the port frequency, the driver begins to get loaded and damped and that restricts driver excursion. That is the reason i wanted the F3 to be a little away from the Fb. What should that gap be ideally ?

Fb is the tuning frequency of the box. F3 is the -3dB frequency of the sum of the driver and box output. Where the driver contribution is minimum is at Fb. Fb can be anywhere in relationship to F3 and Fs. It depends on Qts.

Fb ~=0.42*Fs*Qts^(-0.96)
Vb ~= 20*Vas*Qts^3.3

F3 is a consequence of the two equations above, not an independent quantity.

Make sense?

yes, thanks guys....I get it now.
Since this is my first project....I need to get a few things clear and any pearls of widom you guys have to share are most welcome :)

Was also wondering whether a terraced baffle or a sloped baffle would be the right way to align the acoustic centres of the two drivers ?

I am making a pair of 2 way speakers.

Manek.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.