horns in two way homemade cabs for HT - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2004, 03:05 AM   #1
frego is offline frego  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to frego
Default horns in two way homemade cabs for HT

I normally run my system with AR performance series voice matched speakers. PS-328's being my mains. They're nothing that great, but have served the purpose. I have some PA gear that I've been migrating into the mix. Essentially I'm using three beefy Peavy DECA 724 rack mount amps (two of them bridged to each drive a Yamaha 18" sub) and one of them to power the mains. Just for giggles I put some Avatar PA-15's in parallel with the AR PS-328's as the mains (net 4 Ohm load per channel, amp driving at 350Watts RMS per side).

The Avatar PA-15's have a 15" Emminence Kappa and a true horn (apt-50). I've found them to have quite good sound in comparison to just the PS-328's. (so far I've only been able to listen to 2 channel stereo in reference mode for Home Theater). My concern is that now I've lost that "voice matching" that I had when I had all AR speakers. I'm considering replacing the center channel and perhaps the rear also by building my own. And I may add 7.1 too. If I decide to stick with the front mains that have horns, should I try to build a similar center channel with the same horn? Or any other suggestions on a good center channel? Or would you recommend not using the PA gear at all in a HT application? I was looking at parts express and was considering buiding enclosures for an <a href="http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-500">8\" full range Eminnence</a> that is coaxial with the <a href="http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=290-530">apt-50 horn</a>.

I'm mainly looking for advise on whether pursing the horn tweeters is a good idea in a surround sound home theater environment.
Old 18th October 2004, 05:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sure, go for it. I find High Efficiency just as useful for HT as for anywhere else. If you really want lifelike dynamics, nothing else will do.

www.highefficiencyloudspeakers.com

Hide this!Advertise here!