Slices BIG Home Theater project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The resin I want an a/v receiver rather then just a preamp processor is simple. First, I don’t want to be locked into using my “huge” sound system all the time. Second, this Marantz SR9200 has preamp outputs as well as amplified outputs. This will give me the ability to have to two completely sets of speakers. A good set for serious movie and TV watching and a decent set for social watching. You know what I mean? Well the SR9200 has fantastic reviews and the price is right so I am going to stay with the Marantz SR9200 for the preamp processor / receiver. I am also wondering if a line doubler aka scaler would be a good investment? From what I hear on the grape vide they can make a good projector perform even better; Maybe one of those new QUADSCAN ELITE HD doublers? Just a thought…

Thanks,
Slice

Your not going to like this, but a PC will do a much better job at scaling and deinterlacing than a Quadroscan elite. They also will lower the cost, and output a superb picture when compared to a progressive dvd player. If you are trying to go cheap with the BEST image quality possible, then trust me and go HTPC for feeding images into the projector. You will be able to use its VGA input which is an RGB signal which will have better color definition than a Y/Pb/Pr input. goto www.avsforum.com and go to the section on HTPC's and you will find tons of info on HTPC's. You really don't know how much more powerful it can be.As for the Quadrascan, it is good but not as good as the HTPC, and if you feed it a 480p signal, it will not scale it and pass it through, completely defeting it's purpose (i belive that's how it works). And Dave, if it has a pixel for pixel match mode, then 720p will be flawless. But i wouldn't think about running an input into it without running it through a scaler or a HTPC. Slice, if you are running a dvd player and a scaler, the image will lose some resolution and lose a bit of color definition ( the analog signal has to undergo an analog to digital conversion on the input, then a digital to analog conversion on the output; the HTPC has much better a/d and d/a converts period, and dvd's only have to go one conversion before reaching the projector), as well as costing a lot more. If you want to stick with the boxlight, go ahead, it will be a great projector, but i would recommend a Hoya FL-Day filter infront of it to lower the black levels. Even though it has a good contrast ratio, on dark scenes, they will appear slightly grey. If you goto www.avsforum.com , all of the high end theaters there have HTPC's i'm telling you they are simply the best, the money you save you can put to use on a good screen or something similar. Not trying to bash you but you are missing out on the best picture possible.

Greg Lightfoot
KingFootGA

HTPC Control

There are many ways to control an HTPC. Some of which are:

Palm Pilots with custon software and IR
A keyboard
A touchscreen
The ATI Remote wonder (RF) has mouse and program control
A trackball
Voice command
A universal remote with an IR reciever and software on the HTPC

There are many more at www.avsforum.com in the HTPC section, just search for remote or for HTPC control. I use a trackball and the ATI remote wonder. The remote wonder has a slow mouse control, that's why I have a trackball. Overall it is very easy to control and even friends can control it without any instruction.

Greg Lightfoot
KingFootGA

Kingfootga,
I know you are a fan of the HTPC but as I have said it is not for me.I am sorry buy I am not interested. I appreciate your enthusiasm but I do not want to run my video through a pc. To me that is troublesome. Thanks for the suggestion but it is not for me. Now I have a few questions. Most DVDs are in 16:9 format rights? Well would I have to scale any video from a progressive scan DVD player? This applies to HDTV as well right? These video sources would not need to be scaled right? Answers to these questions would be nice.

Thanks,
Slice

yes they would

Even though most sources of high def are 16x9, that does not mean they do not need to be scaled. Your Porjector's native resolution is 1366x768 (wxga). Dvd's are 854x480p, and Hdtv comes in 1280x720 (720p, the best picture), and 1920x1080i (1080i) You could get away with forcing 720p into a pixel for pixel match with a HTPC, or if it has pixel for pixel matching mode. Everything else would need to be scaled, and that is why a HTPC is superior, the videocards do the est job scaling, If you did not get a high end scaler (or a cheap HTPC), the projector's internal electronics would have to do the scaling, and the results usually aren't good at all; blurry images, lack or depth, no detail, odd scaling artifacts, and lack of edge contrast. In other words, an external scaler is almost always needed, and even those don't do as good of job as possible. For interlaced signals (1080i, 480i TV) they need to be deinterlaced before they can be scaled, and an external scaler will usually have adaptive deinterlacing (faroudja's dcdi is best, except of Dscaler on a HTPC), and the sheer processing power and memory bandwith and size requirements are usually not there for deinterlacing and scaling 1080i well at all. so pretty much everything needs to be scaled, as there is not much 720p material (720p is the best, but the scan rates for a crt tv are not high enough yet for most consumers, so even though it looks incredible, most stuff is in 1080i.). So I would look into a high end Faroudja or other Expensive scaler, preferably with sdi input, and then buy a dvd player with sdi output, that keeps the dvd signal digital, and the image quality is pretty good, but sdi equipment is not cheap; the total will probably come to $6000, or more. Just a little insight.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Greg Lightfoot
KingFootGA

pretty much anything from Faroudja will do what you need, the Native Rate, and dvp2200 look promising. I don't know which models I have seen, but they all looked very good. As for thr prices, they started at $3500 and went to $8000. Go to a local Home Theater shop and they will most likely have a faroudja hooked up to something. That way you can get the price and see the output.

Greg Lightfoot
KingFootGA

!!UPDATE!!

Well every one time to download the new versions of my excel spreadsheets. They have all the revisions including.

1st. DVD player and receiver changes
2nd. QUADSCAN ELITE HD scaler
Last but not least. A change in the amps I am going to use.:D

Guess which one I am going to use. Give up? The BRYSTON 4B SST model of course. Like you guys suggested and finally I got it through my thick skull. But I am still getting a couple of the 7B SST model to drive my monster subs.I will have 4 The BRYSTON 4B SST amps to drive all the speakers besides the subs and 2 7B SST amps to drive the subs. This will save me a lot of money. Thanks for being persistent with the 4B SST suggestion.

Thank,
Slice

!! Download the new revised versions of the spreadsheets !!

Attachments

• excel spreadsheet files as of__6-28-02.zip
    6.9 KB · Views: 35
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: ???how much???

Hey Slice,

You do realize that if you aren't buying for 2 years, none of today's choices -- except power amps & speakers -- will be current. In videoland the 'scape is changing every week. In 2 years prices for hi-end video kit should be half or less than today's kit and there will be a whole spectrum of better, different stuff to choose from.

So freezing anything today is kinda short-sighted.

dave

I do realize that things will change, but I also know how much I want to spend on a given component and what manufacture to go with. I also know that HDTV is hear to stay but I don’t think it will be mainstream for at least 2 years. I also know that DVD wont be that standard in the majority of households for at least that same time (2 years). Your comments and advice is helping me now getting acquainted with high-end manufactures such as BRYSTON and Marantz. With out your guys help I would have never have hear of them. I know that some things will change in the coming years but you are introducing me to a good experienced background that I will be able to use later. I am sure that some of the components will be different when it comes time to actually building the thing but hay this is a learning experience for me. Regardless of the fact that some components my be different models from the same or different manufacture in two years you are helping me with basically two things.

1.You are helping educate me in the endless world of high end A/V equipment.
2.You are helping me establish a base life for the prices of various components.

If this were nothing more then a learning experience I think it would be worth it. The fact is I have to learn the inns and outs some where, and what better place is better and cheaper then paper. I think you guys are helping me see the broader spectrum of things by getting me out of my comfort zone. For example introducing me to BRYSTON. I would have never learned of them if I had not asked for advice.

I hope you guys will continue to help me out with this,

Thanks,
Slice

Slice, after checking many home theatre projects, I have found that the Denon AVR-5800 and AVR-5803s are one of the best home theatre amplifiers. Using seven discrete channel outputs, this amplifier passes all of the standards and then some. Although, having the THX badge only means that it has been tested for such operation. This receiver actually sounds good, no, sorry wicked!

My two cents:
My situation with marantz isn't a pro-point of view. My BOSE spatial receiver sounds the fullest of any receiver I have heard. But that's just stereo, not home theatre (for a better word, home cinema.)

In 2006, every station will be required to transmit in digital 480p, and about 1/3 will be HDTV at least at some time during the day. And also in a few years the BLU-Ray and DVD2 formats will be out, both offering 720p recording capabilities. Well that's it for now, i got a bad headache.

Greg Lightfoot
KingFootGA

I know that dvd2 is in the works. It uses a blue laser witch is able to focus in a smaller area than current laser assemblies. The disk capability will be 50GB or more depending on what the final spec will be. I guarantee it will not be around until at least 2004 is not 2006. The fact is there is not enough demand for it and current DVD resolutions is ebullient or better then 35mm film. The main purpose for dvd2 is going to be storage arrays for mainframes. If they ever make a video format spec to go on dvd2 media it wont be for a quit a wile. They are still having problems with the technology itself. If you don’t mind I would like to get back to my design at hand. I am not going to go with a multi channel amp like the denon some one suggested. I would like to stay with BRYSTON because they are the best and they have a killer warrantee. Plus the 4B SST model is a dual mono amp; basically two mono amps in one box. I would like to stick to the equipment at hand and worry about design changes as technology changes. You herd it stated earlier that 480p wont even be fully utilized till 2006! No need to worry about equipment changes right now. If things change I will be in a position to change components, no problem. Bose(o) I think your option of Marantz is a personal one…just like I do not like Sony products. It is all a mater of preference. I have herd great things about Marantz. I will how ever keep an open mind and will accept your option with open arms.

Thanks every one with being so open with your opinions.:)

Thank you,
Slice

PS. I would love to hear your guys feed back on other stuff like driver selection, projection screen, and other stuff.
If something looks good tell me so I know I made a good decision and if it is bad every one will be able to discuss it.:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
slicemaster101 said:
current DVD resolutions is ebullient or better then 35mm film

current DVD is barely up to LaserDisk quality. 720p & 1080i are just up to the quality of an average 35mm print (i had the opportunity to do a number of back-to-back comparisons). current DVD isn't even close to 720p.

Once the price starts coming down, and people start to see how much better the higher rez HD is, they will do a stampede like is currently happening to DVD. Unfortuneatly DVD is purly an interim technology like 8-tracks were.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.