Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th June 2002, 12:18 AM   #11
diyAudio Moderator

If you want to go the way of active system controllers then the ones to use are the BSS Omnidrive units, they carry out crossover/time alignment and room adjustment in one box, and they sound a lot better than the DBX units.

Check them out:

http://www.bss.co.uk/e_fds.htm

Cheers

Al
Old 28th June 2002, 01:24 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I took your advice and I have been looking around for some other DVD and a/v receiversÖI found some that look like they would go well with my system. How is Marantz? I have been looking at their SR9200 home cinema A/V receiver and their VC5200 5 disk DVD changer. Are these any good?

Thanks,
Slice
Old 28th June 2002, 03:07 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to kingfootga
Default Marantz is good

Marantz is very good indeed, but even better is an HTPC (Home Theater PC). They are extremely inexpensive and output SUPERB Image Quality. The output can be compared to a $10,000 faroudja and high end DVD player, with the results in favor of the HTPC. A recommended setup is:
Asus A7M266 Motherboard
AMD Athalon 1600+ CPU
ATI Radeon 7500 video card (not AIW)
Any Brookstone 848 or 878 based capture card
Audiophile 24/96 Sound Card
DVD Drive
60 gig 7200 rpm hard drive
512mb DDR Ram
ThermalTake Volcano CPU fan
300+watts case
Dscaler (for inputs, i.e. tv,svhs,laserdisc)
WinDVD (for dvd's)
SPDIF output enalbed (allows Dolby Digital and DTS output on the sound card)
Windows 2000

Thats all I can think of.
Any questions and ask me and I'll see if I can help.

Greg Lightfoot
KingFootGA

By the way what kind of projector will you be using? I recommend a High end CRT projector running in a native widescreen mode (the king with three lenses, red,green,and blue). The cheapest way would be to get a used CRT with less than 2000 hours(one can be had for less than $4000). That will have the BEST image quality. Period. As good as film.
Old 28th June 2002, 03:29 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I will definitely have a pc as part of the system but not for DVD video playback.
I have lots of experience with building PCs and I can handle it. Thanks for the input though. If you download my excel spreadsheets that are available in my first post you will be able to see all the hardware I intend to use. I have chosen a really nice LCD projector from BOXLIGHT. It is the BOXLIGHT Cinema 13HD and is resident at
WXGA (Wide XGA "AKA WIDE SCREEN") resolution with compatibility for many others. Check it out.
BOXLIGHT CINEMA 13HD

Thanks,
Slice
Old 28th June 2002, 03:55 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

You should use a pc for DVD playback, just trust me on that one, the quality is SOOOOO much better than anything you will put into it espically if you are not using an external scaler which costs $$$; internal scalers almost always SUCK badly. But if you want to go the digital route, I would suggest one of the new HDTV 720p native resolution DLP's, as the image quality is much better (unless you see rainbows) but with LCD you do have a good amount of screendoor (black lines and colums inbetween pixels) and if you put it big it will definitely show. As for HDTV the WXGA resolution the Boxlight has would require scaling for any resolution and with such a small step up and odd resolution, it would not look as good as 720p (but that can be done with Powerstrip :-) ). Don't get me wrong, the Boxlight is an exelent projector ( i have seen one), but you could do better, maybe the sharp z9000. It can be had for about the same price and the image quality is the closest to CRT I have seen, except for pricey Lcos units. I would definitely give the z9000 a look.

Just my 2 cents
Greg Lightfoot
KingFootGA
Old 28th June 2002, 03:57 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

By the way my computer is running a custom version of linux, and i can't read your spreadsheets, yet.

Greg Lightfoot
KingFootGA
Old 28th June 2002, 06:43 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

As I have said before. I am not going to use a PC for DVD playback. I appreciate your opinion but it is not for me. I will check into the projectors you suggested but if it isnít WXGA I am not interested. I have heard things about the screen door affect but I am not displaying that big so it will not be a problem. I encourage you to go to the link and read the specs on the projector; it has all the features that you mentioned. I am sorry if I am being a little harsh but I like the BOXLIGHT projector and have heard great things about it. I will however check out the projectors you suggested but if they have a price tag over $5,000 I will just toss them out.

Thanks,
Slice

NOTE:
I checked out the sharp projector you suggested...sorry but it is not bright enough for my tastes or needs. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 28th June 2002, 08:50 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfootga
HDTV 720p native resolution DLP's, as the image quality is much better
720p is the highest fidelity HD format that can currently be displayed -- 1080p will be better but technical issues still need sorting. People are doing 1080i only because it is easier from a technical point of view -- and although not as good as 720p has the appeal to the masses of the bigger number.

The boxlight should display 720p native, pixel for pixel with no need for scaling, it is important the projector has no issues with progressive scan input.

I have found that DLPs generally outperform LCDs, but right now i'd have to put the Hughes/JVC D-ILA projectors are currently the cream (i don't know if these have migrated down into the low budget Slice has given for a projector)

And amps -- i'd trim them back to Bryston 4Bs, the 3dB potential gain in loudness with a 7B is better gained by using more efficient speakers. And some budget to consider better projector & DVD player (the heart of any HT system)

dave
Old 28th June 2002, 09:21 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

The BOXLIGHT projector looks as if it is a great projector and the reviews are great. I have already reworked the budget to change out the JVC A/V receiver and DVD player, although I am a big fan of JVC. I have changed them to some high-end Marantz components. The receiver will be the SR9200 and the DVD player will be the VC5200; both of witch are highly recommended by reviews and so people I know and trust. I am still wondering what you guys think of the Vifa tweeter I mentioned rather the Peerless? I wanted a mono amp for each channel but I will think about changing to the 4Bs and 3Bs. Now I am telling you all you guys this; the BOXLIGHT projector does everything I want. It is very flexible and has many great features. For the price it just canít be beat. I donít know how many of you have actually looked at the excel spreadsheets but I will upload so revised ones later, maybe tomorrow.

Thank for the feedback & I would love more,
Slice
Old 28th June 2002, 12:05 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to baby_huey0
I'm curious to why you want to use a reciever as a preamp. With 10 other channels of sound I don't think you'll need it. You don't have to go bryston though, I know Lexicon is very similar. They also work with integrating systems, just look through this months AudioVideo Interiors. I know its a bit more expensive but if you drop at least the rear amps to 4Bs then you'll probably have enough more to afford it.

I didn't know that was a progressive scan dvd player, thats good. I think I would still recommend get something higher end. I think the Marantz is a good one, I've never seen it though. I live in a small town so theres a limit to whats here. You could also try the Arcam DV-88P, I've heard a lot of good things about it. Also there is the new Pinoeer Elite series DVD player. It also plays DVD-A, and SACDs, so you can listen in 5.1. Anyone who has used these or knows better please recommend, as I said I haven't had a chance to hear/see these yet, just heard a few good things.

I understand the "anger" to Sony. The only things I likee buy them are their DVD players. The 9000es is a very nice dvd/sacd player, I've seen and heard them.

I'll be back!

Huey

Hide this!Advertise here!