Anyone Have Any Experience w/These RS Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just got a variety of Radio Shack full range drivers, including a couple of 1197's which I've heard about, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the others. Anyone have the T/S specs for these or tried them. Are any of these good for open baffle? Any suggestions on how to use them would be welcome. I got quite a few - they were cheap!

The models are:
40-1240D 5", 2 w RMS, 5 w max, 8 ohm, made in Taiwan and has 150-10000 Hz printed on the magnet.

40-1241E 5 1/4", 4 w RMS, 8 w max, 8 ohm, made in the Phillipines

40-1242E 6", 2.5 w RMS, 5 w max, 8 ohm, made in the Phillipines

40-1261C 5"X7" with whizzer cone, "10 w power handling", has jumper wire which allows 4, 8 or 16 ohm, made in Taiwan

40-1271 8" with whizzer cone, 5 w RMS, 10 w max, 8 ohm, one is from Taiwan and a couple from Korea

40-1272D 8" with whizzer cone, "10 w power handling", 8 ohm, from Taiwan

Thanks . . . . Charlie

FlaCharlie said:
40-1271 8" with whizzer cone, 5 w RMS, 10 w max, 8 ohm, one is from Taiwan and a couple from Korea

Thanks . . . . Charlie

Hi,

I am working with the 40-1271. It has a VERY high Q, so open baffle is the way to go. I will try it in a rectangular open baffle very soon. This driver was discussed with some detail here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38238

If you read that thread, you will find the specifications and some OB ideas.

Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Cheers,
GM.

Results of First Experiment With These

Another of the RS (Radio Shack) drivers which I got (but didn't list in my earlier post) were the 40-1286C. These are 8" Full Rangers made in Taiwan and designed for Acoustic Suspension according to the box. Frequency range 50-18,000 printed on the magnet. I picked up one of these a while back from the same source and got another with my recent purchase. I dropped these in a vintage .66 cu ft sealed Utah cabinet that I've owned for many years. I disconnected the 3" Utah sealed back tweeter and ran them full range. Sounded pretty good but like they could use a little help up top. Tried hooking up the Utah tweeter - a little better . . . then I removed the Utah tweeter and dropped in a pair of Foster (Fostex) horn tweeters pulled from a Zenith Allegro. I used the Zenith crossovers. These now sound REALLY good. Very balanced sound with good extension up top and very strong bass for such a small speaker. Amp was a Voice of Music 1448 integrated tube amp - about 12 watts/ch. I'm looking forward to trying some of the others - probably in open baffle or eventually maybe a line array since I have quite a few of some of these (27- 5", 18- 5 1/4", 16- 5"x7"). No time now though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.