Anyone get their Tangs...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm waiting for some drivers that I ordered from Acoustic Technologies. I was told that they would have to come out of Canada instead of California, then asked if I still wanted them. I thought that was an odd question because I assumed I wanted them because I ordered them. I didn't hear anything more until after I made two requests for an update. The second request for status was less polite than the first. I was informed at that point that the drivers had been backordered but were in now and on their way. I understand backorders but it's not good practice to keep your customers in the dark. :whazzat: I placed my order on September 24.

I'll have to agree with thomas997, I ordered from Nuera and never had any problems, everything went smoothly. Since it was sold or whatnot I've heard a few stories and after that I bought my 871s' from CSS. Call up CSS, I had a question on a product the other day and they were very helpful, I wouldn't see you waiting that long with them.

Same here. When I bought my w4-657's the owner of Neura dropped them off at work on his way to pick up the kids, saving me the shipping. Can't ask for better service than that. :) Good experience with CSS too.

Didn't Speaker City, a Vancouver BC store, buy out Neura? Hope not, I've only has a couple dealings with them, the last over the phone with a sales rep who couldn't be bothered leaving the chair - "...I'm sure we have what you're looking for my friend, why don't you drop by and we'll take a look buddy ....." Not at all the same. :(

I sent an email this morning.

Here is the responce.

We are a new company we are going threw some growing pains right now. When we ship product it come from Canada. So it takes a little bit of time.
So when you buy product from us you will get good service
from us.

Thanks David Barnes
From Acoustic Technologies
604-809-4434

Definitely go with CSS.

I've tried calling Acoustic several times to place an order, without response. I finally gave up and checked with CSS to see if there is a price break for the drivers and shipping when ordering in quantity (this was the main reason why I checked with Acoustic first).

Got an email back (sent today, a Saturday, and received a response same day) that pretty much matches what Acoustic would have charged. I'm happy. :)

8 W3-871s: $13.12 per driver
Shipping for 8 drivers to Austin, TX: $19

-Nikhil

Tal, excellent! I was scared at the $5 per 871 shipping and that's why I was looking at Acoustic.

As far as making the speakers, I'm thinking of a very small Bose-like 5.1 system for my computer. The speakers John built (http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11.html) are a little too big for my liking. I was wondering if I went with a smaller enclosure, sealed, if I would lose a ton of low end? I know they're not great for bass under 100hz but if I went with, say, a 5x5x5 or 6x6x6 cube, would it be able to produce bass in the 120-150hz region reasonably flat? Or would I just be better off buying a set of the Logitech 5.1s that use Tang drivers for this application? I will probably use an 8 or 10" woofer and cross it over where needs be.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

mazeroth said:
Tal, excellent! I was scared at the $5 per 871 shipping and that's why I was looking at Acoustic.

As far as making the speakers, I'm thinking of a very small Bose-like 5.1 system for my computer. The speakers John built (http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11.html) are a little too big for my liking. I was wondering if I went with a smaller enclosure, sealed, if I would lose a ton of low end? I know they're not great for bass under 100hz but if I went with, say, a 5x5x5 or 6x6x6 cube, would it be able to produce bass in the 120-150hz region reasonably flat? Or would I just be better off buying a set of the Logitech 5.1s that use Tang drivers for this application? I will probably use an 8 or 10" woofer and cross it over where needs be.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Would it help if you used 1/2" quality plywood rather than 3/4" MDF? You'd only gain 1/2" overall but I don't think reducing the interior volume is going to be a good choice.

mazeroth said:
The speakers John built (http://home.new.rr.com/zaph/audio/audio-speaker11.html) are a little too big for my liking. I was wondering if I went with a smaller enclosure, sealed, if I would lose a ton of low end?
Did you see the alternate enclosures about halfway down that page? The smallest one is about 5 1/2 inches wide and 8 inches tall, and the response is not all that different. Perhaps you saw it and want something even smaller, but there's only a small thumbnail of a drawing with measurements so it's easy to miss.

Here's a picture of a set somebody here built.

http://antisuck.com/pics/public/TB2.jpg

I saved the picture for reference (I'm getting ready to build a pair of these myself) but unfortunately I don't know who to attribute the nice work too. :( Apologies in advance if the builder comes across this thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.