recomend a tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking for a tweeter that is around 101-104 db efficient with a good response. I am also looking to keep it under $40. So far the only thing that I have found is the fostex FT17H tweeter, and that is only 98.5db efficient. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at alot of the pro sound tweeters, but their response is far from flat.

That one only goes flat out to 17khz then it drops off pretty fast, I may end up going with the fostex and padding down the mids and bass a couple of db. If anyone has had good results with that Eminence I would love to know how it turned out for hi-fi use. Maby there is something else out there i havent found yet...

I wouldnt worry about it only reaching 17k then falling off quickly. Im 19 and can hear up to 18khz, the two last sliders in in foobars parametric EQ operate at 14khz and 20khz. Im guessing that the 20khz will also affect frequencies below this too. Pulling the 20k slider down to the max (-20dB) produces no real effect. Yeah you can tell somethings changed but its neither good nor bad.

If the tweeter will fullfill all of your criteria then go for it, this hobby is all about compromise.

basically what im using this for is to fill in the top end of my line arrays. The mids are 98db and the woofers are 100db efficient (both of them are dipole line arrays) I am most likely going to be listening in the 2-3m range, so since the single tweeter will dissipate at twice the rate of the mids and woofers, i need something more efficient that the mids and woofers. Do I lose efficiency if i use the mids and woofers as dipoles? I'm sorta hoping that after i apply some damar (or some other cone damping material) to the mids and maby the woofers too their efficiency will go down a bit so i can use the fostex.

Dipoles are more efficient than a closed box in the midrange. You can gain up to 6db of efficiency. This is above fequal, below which dipole cancellation occurs.

Now you might also consider that a totally flat response might not be the best result. You may prefer slightly recessed treble, aka bbc dip. I prefer this, I think it sounds sweeter than a flat response. Many recordings also accentuate the treble (especially pop) making things even worse.

I would think about power response before efficiency in this case. Especially in an open baffle dipole where near constant directivity is one of the main strengths of the system. I asked Linkwitz about using a horn loaded dome with dipoles and his comment was that a conventional dome tweeter without horn loading is a better match regarding power response.

I think in fact you would be better with ribbon tweeters as they can be made to be in a line source as well.

Are you going active?

You can compensate for differences in driver sensitivities with amplifier gain, but not with the gain of active filters, as this changes the crossover frequency.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.