Help choosing midrange driver - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th October 2004, 03:05 PM   #11
Kittle is offline Kittle  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice looking driver...
the SPH 165 isnt on monacor's site, but they do have some others that look quite good.

But I cant seem to find a US or Canada based dealer.
Old 14th October 2004, 03:09 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Try this: http://www.monacor.de/int/en/produkt...pr=EN&typ=full
Old 14th October 2004, 03:28 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kittle
Cheap
The peerless 821615 looks good, except its almost double the rated power im targeting, id be a little worried about underpowering it.
There is no such thing as underpowering a driver.

You can have too little power mind you when clipping occurs, but just because a driver is rated at twice the rated power you want doesnt mean you cant use it.

The rated power is just a thermal characteristic anyway, how much power the voice coil can take before suffering heat exhaustion. The limiting factor in most cases is the excursion or mechanical limits of the driver.

You will notice that at 40hz with a 6.5" driver you will reach its max excursion with very few watts maybe 10 or less and more and the driver would suffer mechanical failure. But it would still be well within its rated power.
Old 14th October 2004, 03:50 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 5th element

There is no such thing as underpowering a driver.
thanks for the explaination

Time to chuck out yet another "urban legend" about toasting drivers due to not enough amp power.
Old 14th October 2004, 04:20 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kittle

thanks for the explaination

Time to chuck out yet another "urban legend" about toasting drivers due to not enough amp power.
Yes and no. Its all about how much power the coil can take before getting too hot. Now when an amp clips it does cause the coil to heat up more but aslong as this is still within the coils acceptable limits you wont suffer damage.

Usually woofers dont get fried from amps clipping its tweeters that do, so you still have to be careful.
Old 14th October 2004, 07:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Leeuwarden -- Thanks for the link. I guess your search skills are better than mine.

Any clue how to get some of those shipped to my doorstep? they dont show any north american based distributors
Old 14th October 2004, 07:06 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Well if you are willing to order in Europe it is not that big problem.
One of the cheapest sources I know is this http://www.bmm-electronics.nl/Produc...roduct_ID=2729 company.
I thinkthey deliver worldwide. If not, you can always mail me and we work something out.
Old 14th October 2004, 07:21 PM   #18
ScottG is offline ScottG  United States
diyAudio Member

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=296-063

Hide this!Advertise here!