do ployprop caps age? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2004, 01:03 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default do ployprop caps age?

Hi All

I have some old (20yrs) polyprop capacitrors (Rifa) and I'm wondering if this type of cap ages and if how and to what effect.?

These were originally used as xover caps and am loking to use them again. (i know they work at least in some capacity.
Any comments appreciated,

regards
Old 12th October 2004, 03:07 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If they aren't shorted go ahead and use them. Polypropelene caps don't *age* with time like wax and paper caps did (and that problem is mostly related to the infiltration of moisture). Poly caps do age with use in impulse energy discharge applications but those extreme dielectric stresses are not seen in amplifier use or in a crossover, or with sitting on the shelf.

OTOH, if they were stored in a box sitting next to the business end of a particle accelerator in a nuclear laboratory, don't use them.
On April 01,2012, my radioastronomy Project TARGET SETI search succeeded. The signal came via extradimensional subspace, not radio waves. I now get a lot of 'visitors'. I took my avatar pic of one friend watching me in my work yard from just 20 ft. away.

Hide this!Advertise here!