Gamma Horn loaded Ribbon VLD-13 - Application Advice Needed - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th June 2010, 09:22 PM   #31
Hjalmar is offline Hjalmar  Lebanon
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Hjalmar
Hello PMIK,

adding a supertweeter will add "air", generally you will attanuate the high frequencies.
Leaf tweeters are great, but need to be x-overed quite high to avid distortion.
Good luck with your project.

Med ventlig hilsen,

Hjalmar
Old 30th September 2012, 08:58 AM   #32
DrBoar is offline DrBoar  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have had the VLD-13 for 20 years, they are now scrapped. When I bought them they costed the same as a Seas Vifa tweeter, at that time a competetive price. Now they 200-250 dollars each and for that there are many better options around. As opposed to a dome or cone tweeter a soft metal ribbon as no mechanical protection what so ever against low frequency movement/signals so steep crossover is needed. The horn unloads below 1 kHz. A 6 db filter at 4 kHz still leveaves visable motion of the ribbon. And the HiFi News Garage door track at high volumes will burn/shread the ribbons right off.

When Stanly Kelly at Decca designed these 60 years ago they were ahead of the pack but things have moved on.
Old 30th September 2012, 09:58 AM   #33
Sjef is offline Sjef  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

6 db/oct filtering is the stupiest thing you can do with ribbons, even at 10 khz crossocer frequency it's no good. I have had those ribbons as well and they really do need at least 18 db/oct filtering to sound good.Even then they can not be used any lower then 3khz. I ended up using a 30db/oct filter at 3.5khz wich sounded best (mighty good actally, even for todays standards) Again, 6db filtering is the wordt thing to do, they sound pretty bad that way.

Hide this!Advertise here!