Gamma Horn loaded Ribbon VLD-13 - Application Advice Needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
icefox,

Apparently, you will need more protection/steeper filter slope than a single .2 or .47 cap will provide. Get an air core inductor (coil) as suggested and run it to the ground leg. Then follow it with the "L" pad.

An "L" pad is either an adjustable volume control which allows for amplitude changes without grossly altering impedance, or a fixed "L" pad, which is a resistor in series with the tweeter input, as well as a shunt (to ground) resistor running in parallel. Basically a voltage divider in the shape of an "L" on its side, when viewed in a wiring diagram.

Tim

$177,- is a lot off money for a second hand pair. I really can't believe these things will cost you $900,- new anywhere or it must be one of those "high end" shops where everything is twice to ten times as expensive than anywhere else for the very same products. (expensive = exclusive = better = high end, what a bul@%#^$&*)

They where also advertised as Lowther add ons, well they simply don not have enough effiency to cope with a Lowther. Don't be fooled, don't let them get a cult status, otherwise they are going to be very expensive in the near future, just buy them cheaply and tell everyone that they are not that good but that you didn't have the money to buy something better, don't throw at your own windows.

t330 Dynaudio vs VLD 12

Dear gentlemen,

I have an ambitious project, but i have some ambiguity about it because i do not know which one of them could make it better. My question: do the T330D does the job better or. Please; if you have a clear answer let me know. Tks

Sincerely

Jorel Coffy

I have played around quite a lot with the VLD-13 and have used in both 2 ways as well as 3-way speakers.
I have used them on a 3-rd order 18dB filter from 3.5 kHz.
If you want to use them with your Tannoys, I suggest 10K crossover, 12dB slope as the ribbon does not like a lot of low frequency energy.

The producer of the VLD-13 now has a site:
Vissokogovoriteli PLC, Blagoevgrad, Bulgaria

The VLD a great speakers, nice high efficiency, much more than the VLD-80.
In Germany Expolinear is selling the units with its own modifications. They have a version with neo magnets.

Regards,

Hjalmar Dijkstra

I have visited the factory to buy units many years ago......

For Jorel Coffy

The last 3½-4 years i have use Martin Logan CLS :p

But if i am going to return for dynamic units ..,
i have a pair of Technics EAS-10TH400 "Leaf Tweeters" in my "stock" these units are some or even the best ever made, EAS range of Technics "Leaf" tweeters which typical has a range of 125KHz-3dB ..., can easely compete with Plasma units in sonic quality. :cool:

Dynaudio T330D for "high end" purpose can be extended too perfection by adding a pair of equal good quality "leaf" tweeters.

Technics

I have had the VLD-13 for 20 years, they are now scrapped. When I bought them they costed the same as a Seas Vifa tweeter, at that time a competetive price. Now they 200-250 dollars each and for that there are many better options around. As opposed to a dome or cone tweeter a soft metal ribbon as no mechanical protection what so ever against low frequency movement/signals so steep crossover is needed. The horn unloads below 1 kHz. A 6 db filter at 4 kHz still leveaves visable motion of the ribbon. And the HiFi News Garage door track at high volumes will burn/shread the ribbons right off.:eek:

When Stanly Kelly at Decca designed these 60 years ago they were ahead of the pack but things have moved on.

6 db/oct filtering is the stupiest thing you can do with ribbons, even at 10 khz crossocer frequency it's no good. I have had those ribbons as well and they really do need at least 18 db/oct filtering to sound good.Even then they can not be used any lower then 3khz. I ended up using a 30db/oct filter at 3.5khz wich sounded best (mighty good actally, even for todays standards) Again, 6db filtering is the wordt thing to do, they sound pretty bad that way.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.