3x8" in a TL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi is it possibly to make a TL with 3x8" ?

I have found these Vifa M21WP-00-16 but they are 16 ohm, so i where thinking about useing 3 of them per a side. = 5,33 ohm in paraelle

data:

Vas: 56,76
Fs: 34,1
Qts: 0,43
Qes: 0,52
Bl: 11,69
Re: 11,04
Sd: 235
Mdd: 29,92

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I thinking of a Xt 19/25 or a fountek Jp2.0 for tweater.

Sorry my poor english

is there any speciaj reason why they shouldn't be 8 ohm?Just use 2 of them.
I don't see any sense in using 3 drivers..2 will be just fine
I'll try to run the sim with two drivers.Judging by numbers it should work.If it was for me I would put them in ML-TL to shorten the pipe.
I cannot find any frq. response for this driver,it isn't listed on Vifa site.
Do you have any?
There might be a problem with tweeter ,you'll have to find one which can be cut low and that is if that bass is reasonably flat up to 2kHz.
I guess others should know about tweeter which can handle that.
Monacor has tweeter DT-300,you can cut it low.Haven't heard it though...

Tomac said:
is there any speciaj reason why they shouldn't be 8 ohm?Just use 2 of them.
I don't see any sense in using 3 drivers..2 will be just fine
I'll try to run the sim with two drivers.Judging by numbers it should work.If it was for me I would put them in ML-TL to shorten the pipe.
I cannot find any frq. response for this driver,it isn't listed on Vifa site.
Do you have any?
There might be a problem with tweeter ,you'll have to find one which can be cut low and that is if that bass is reasonably flat up to 2kHz.
I guess others should know about tweeter which can handle that.
Monacor has tweeter DT-300,you can cut it low.Haven't heard it though...

Vifa XT 25 is ok at 2K and so are fountek jp2.0.
I´ll look into Monacor DT-300 for sure !

Vifa M21WP is ok up to 2K i think, i´ll scan the frq. response to you.

Tomac said:
100 cm long pipe
So=3 Sd
Sl=3 Sd

driver position=0.1
vent
L=1"
r=1.5"

densitiy=0.25 to 0.5

F3 is round 30 Hz.That should be enough I hope

;)

It wou
ld be good to put the other driver on rear side to cancel up the baffle step
cheers

will the pipe fit 2 driver ?

"driver position=0.1" is it 0.1 inch from top to speaker ( just to be sure)

Vent goes neer bottom

se attach file

Attachments

• vifa_m21wp.jpg
    vifa_m21wp.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 433
You'll definitely need Zoebel for crossover to work properly.This breakup at 4KHz is really nasty,you'll probably need 4th order crossover to fix it,maybe even notch filter,I'm not sure
It can be fixed for sure,you'll have to experiment a bit
box is modelled for 2 speakers.You choose where to put the other speaker,I suggest at back.
3 Sd is actually 6 Sd if you look at a Sd of a single speaker.I calculated total Sd so I wrote 3Sd.It will be pretty wide box.I'll run simulation again to see if we can narrow it down a bit
0.1 is distance from top of speaker,bu not in inches,but in aspect(I don't know if i'm explaining this right because I don't know all the apropriate english terms) it is like you divide box in 10/10 ,in your case this will be 10 cm (becuse 10 cm is tenth part of height of your box) you locate the speaker so its' center is on 90th cm of height.This means your speaker wiill be up to edge of the speaker box since it is 20 cm in diameter.(this way you understand for sure I hope)
port is on the bottom

cheers

thanks ! reply #7 make sens :)

Timn8ter i´ll take it ..

Timn8ter and Tomac:
I will set up the drivers in bipole fashion, when you guys say´s so i dare not do otherwise :smash: :D

Tomac, do think that this will play down 30 hz, but will i sound nice higher ? I haven´t build a ML-TL before.

Tomac said:
You'll definitely need Zoebel for crossover to work properly.This breakup at 4KHz is really nasty,you'll probably need 4th order crossover to fix it,maybe even notch filter,I'm not sure
It can be fixed for sure,you'll have to experiment a bit
box is modelled for 2 speakers.You choose where to put the other speaker,I suggest at back.
3 Sd is actually 6 Sd if you look at a Sd of a single speaker.I calculated total Sd so I wrote 3Sd.It will be pretty wide box.I'll run simulation again to see if we can narrow it down a bit
0.1 is distance from top of speaker,bu not in inches,but in aspect(I don't know if i'm explaining this right because I don't know all the apropriate english terms) it is like you divide box in 10/10 ,in your case this will be 10 cm (becuse 10 cm is tenth part of height of your box) you locate the speaker so its' center is on 90th cm of height.This means your speaker wiill be up to edge of the speaker box since it is 20 cm in diameter.(this way you understand for sure I hope)
port is on the bottom

cheers

Can i put the port anywear at the bottom ?

wingman said:
[

Tomac, do think that this will play down 30 hz, but will i sound nice higher ? I haven´t build a ML-TL before. [/B]

It depends more on the driver itself,than on the box.
I've heard such combinations (8" and 1" tweeter in ML-TL) which play very nice.It is more to driver capabilities.Never heard such combination with two 8" drivers.In theory your combination,if done properly should play better than with same drivers but only one 8".This theory is very likely too be true ,hehe
You'll only have to take good care of crossover

wingman said:

Can i put the port anywear at the bottom ?

Well,there is probably some difference if placed on front or back,but I wouldn't know how to explain it.
for me,it is pretty much the same if you place it on front or back,excpet if you'll keep your speakers close to wall.in this case putting another speaker on the rear is useless.I think distance of 0.5 meters from the back wall should be fine.
I guess somone would know better about placing the port on the rear or on the front. I think it is pretty much the same,but someone correct me if i'm wrong...

Since the low frequencies tend to "stack up" at the bottom of the cabinet the port should load better at the bottom. I've had my ports on bipoles firing forward. Another option would be to have the port fire downward (see pic). You could raise the main cabinet slightly this way, maybe move the driver down a bit to have it aimed at ear level. If you do decide to add a tweeter it's usually only necessary to put a small cap on a super tweeter to get the highs you want, but as Tomac said, this is dependant on your main driver.

Attachments

• cnewfe103.jpg
    cnewfe103.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 189
Timn8ter said:
Another option would be to have the port fire downward (see pic). You could raise the main cabinet slightly this way, maybe move the driver down a bit to have it aimed at ear level. If you do decide to add a tweeter it's usually only necessary to put a small cap on a super tweeter to get the highs you want, but as Tomac said, this is dependant on your main driver.

Tim,
What should be the minimal distance between the floor and the port?
Cap only is not a option here,unfortunately,since he'll have to cross it low (2kHz)

wingman,
You'll have to choose at least 25mm tweeter (1") possibly 30mm depends on what you can find where you live.I've heard good things about that Vifa but please check maybe in archive or make a new thread about apropriate tweeter which could be cut low.
some tweeters can sound "harsh" if cut low,I guess it shouldn't be the case with this Vifa,but it won't cost you anything to check
just put the tweeter as close you can to the woofer.
BTW,I just checked the specs of that Vifa,it should work very well at least the specs say so
good luck

Tomac said:

It depends more on the driver itself,than on the box.
I've heard such combinations (8" and 1" tweeter in ML-TL) which play very nice.It is more to driver capabilities.Never heard such combination with two 8" drivers.In theory your combination,if done properly should play better than with same drivers but only one 8".This theory is very likely too be true ,hehe
You'll only have to take good care of crossover

so you think that 2 driver will sound wores then 1 driver ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.