HTPC speaker Suggestions...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Guys... I'm looking to build complete set of HT speakers...I've built a Lumenlab DIY Projector, and am running on some old crappy Fisher speakers! (Yea, I know!!)
I have a brand new Yamaha RX-V750.

Room is 14x20, bottom floor of a trilevel.
Walls are Paneled.

I've searched the site, but can't seem to find the easy answer I'm looking for. I plan on doing some audio listening as well.
I'm not an audiophile, but enjoy DIY projects, and wants something that will sound better than the average persons Home Theater...

Thanks guys...any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Ron

AZ_Ron said:
Hi Guys... I'm looking to build complete set of HT speakers...

I've been struggling with this same question for a while now. In fact, I've been reading web pages for over 2 months and still haven't been bold enough to ask for advice from the resident pros.

It seems it helps alot if you read at least a little about the different basic designs, and make some basic decisions about what you want, maybe even choose a driver, then look for a proven enclosure based on that driver.

I have a room sized similarly to your and I'll offer up what is seeming most attractive to me.(though I'm still reading and learning, and might change my mind at any point lol)

I've decided to go with a full range sytem, as I don't want to build crossovers. I also decided I would rather augment the low end response than add tweeters, since I don't want to spend time getting the perfect x-over in such a crucial range(i don't want to fiddle with x-overs lol). So a full range driver with good high end response is critical. All of that seemed to lead me to TL enclosure. I ended up deciding on the Fostex FE167E 6.5" full range driver for my fronts, rears, and center. There are a number of excellent sites about TL speakers, with great articles to explain how and why they work, as well as the advantages and disadvantages.

I'd recommend Dave's awesome site as a good starting point:
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/

Martin J. King's website is also a great place to learn up on TL's, he's one of the best, from all I can tell, excellent research from him:
http://www.quarter-wave.com/

For some great TL projects head to Bob Brines site:
http://geocities.com/rbrines1/

For fullrange drivers in the US check out Madisound:
http://www.madisound.com/

I've chosen Bob's FT-1600 MKII enclosure design for my fronts, maybe the rears too, since it uses the FE167E driver I've chosen. I want to use the same driver on all sides so the timbre is well matched. I think even if I go with a different enclosure for the center and rears, the sound will still benefit greatly from the driver's being the same. Also, such a setup should be great for music too. BTW this speaker is magnetically shielded, not that it would matter for you with a PJ. Also, Bob's MLTL has been reported to do very well with high power Solid State amps and low power tubers alike, which appeals to me since I, like you, want to use a solid state 5.1 amp. (at some point down the line I want to build a 6 channel chip amp, but that will have to wait for a while, lol. I judge speakers to be the better first choice)

I haven't decided upon a subwoofer design or driver yet, but I certainly want it to be flat down to the bottom end of DTS specs, since it's mainly for movies, and when I listen to music it's mostly trip hop, so heavy deep bass lines are a regularity. MAybe If I have the room I'll do a SonoTube TL, they are reported to be very accurate, and I hate sloppy bass. I've got 10' cielings so I could probably pull it off.

Anyone have suggestions on a center/rear enclosure for the Fostex FE167E? Or for a subwoofer design that would integrate well with the roll off of the FE167E?

I hope I helped. I'm a newb too, but I think I've been wading through this material a while longer, and maybe I sent you in a good direction. If you could follow the directions and build a lumenlab box you could surely do the same with one of Bob's, or any of the other complete plans for sale on the internet. My thoughts have been theater-centric from the beginning, which is hard ina stereo world. Who knows, I might turn into a stereo nut after I build my first MLTL's. I hope so at least!

Also, be sure to check out the WIKI, it's got alot of pertinent info, and links to alot of important speaker websites:
http://www.diyaudio.com/wiki/index.php?page=Loudspeaker

But that's just one solution I'm considering. There are a number of proven MTM cabinets that would make a nice compact 5.1 system when coupled with a nice powered sub. You'd just have to decide how much you can afford to spend on drivers, and go from there.

Of course with a projector you'd have to turn the center on it's side,(unless you have room for it to be vertical) which is apparently bad for imaging(anyone?). Not sure yet what the solution to that is. Perhaps someone else could chime in on that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.