Bad combination? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2004, 01:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bad combination?

My cat met my speaker (unit) and the result is seen on the picture. The fork-like cut (the fork part not the long scratch) is all the way thru the rubbersurround. I would appreciate any good advice for repairing the cut.

My First thoughts were:

1. heat the rubber with perhaps a hotair-gun (?). But this will melt the glue as well, so i guess this is out of the question.

2. Use some kind of silicone glue, and apply on both sides - only a very thin layer. Should work for such a little scratch...?

3. Buy new units. Weee... but expensive.

4. buy a repair kit for the whole surround. I'm not sure this is an easy solution - i'm guessing it is difficult and needs experience to apply such a kit...

Please help.

kongen
Old 8th October 2004, 01:33 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default forgot the pic

Forgot the pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cut.jpg (47.5 KB, 473 views)
Old 8th October 2004, 01:48 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to joe carrow
I would try getting some good strong glue and taping some cellophane over the scratches. It would be a lot like tape, but more flexible. I think you want whatever you use to cover those scratches to be:

1) air tight
2) light
3) flexible

Or else it could be quite detrimental to the sound.

What type of driver is it? Does it have a lot of excursion? I'm afraid that redoing the surrounds with a generic kit could change the T/S parameters. Perhaps somebody with more experience could comment on how likely that is.

Joe
Old 8th October 2004, 02:14 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to swirv
Get an intertube repair kit and use the glue from it. just a very small amount on the inside. You just want to seal the whole, going to have to live with the scratches.
Old 8th October 2004, 03:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

it is a scanspeak 18W8546 unit. It does have quite a long excursion as i recall.

Joe Carrow-> Won't most glues turn hard and thus inhibit the excursion? Perhaps as I mentioned a silicone glue is the way... and wouldn't this glue make it airtight?

Swirv-> I'm not quite sure what an intertube is? i'm guessing you mean a tube from a bicycle? it won't mess up the rubber surround? it's quite nasty glue...

Anyways thank you for the advice. The bicyle glue is an option i hadn't considered and which i may go for. I guess the vulcanization effect of the glue is somewhat similar to heating the rubber, just a chemical version

Old 8th October 2004, 05:24 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Cats are scary animals around your speakers. I once found our cat lying on top of one of my sub drivers (it has an inverted dustcap) which had a sheet on top of it and was face up in a room corner. The cat found it to be a nice bed ...

This is where grilles become a necessary evil ...

I doubt there is much you can do without messing with the performance. My guess is that the best you can do is attach some rubber with contact adhesive to the unseen side of the surround. You would want some very thin and flexible rubber. What you are in effect doing is trying to prevent further damage to the surround, since as soon as damage appears, it tends to get worse until the surround falls apart and the speaker becomes unuseable for bass.

Generic surrounds are actually fairly pricey and will change the parameters significantly, it's a bit hit and miss and probably not worth it. If you have drivers expensive enough to justify the expense and effort, you will almost certainly have inferior performance with a new generic surround.

I'd stick with the cheap and simple patch up job and see how long it lasts. Then when it falls apart, you have a great excuse to upgrade. If there is a partner to convince, then maybe this is a blessing in disguise! "ooohhhh look honey what happened to my speakers!!!! such a shame ...."
Old 8th October 2004, 12:31 PM   #7
BAM is offline BAM
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to BAM
If I had a cat and I found it laying inside one of my subwoofer drivers, I'd try to hook it up to an amp and have it start tossing the cat up in the air. One way people in the past have kept cats away from their speakers is by turning up the volume very loud and then putting it on mute and then when their cat comes aling and starts getting close to the speakers, they'll unmute the sound and give the cat a nice blast, and then the cat usually takes off. After about two or three times, the cat won't go near the speakers anymore. The other option is building some quick-and-dirty grill frames by cutting a panel of MDF anr jigsawing out the center section and stretching grille fabric over that. Then if the cat decides it wants a piece of my speakers, I can always stretch new grille cloth over the frame.
Old 8th October 2004, 12:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Don't even think of using ANY kind of silicon glue, because it will be gassing out sooner or later.
That will cause very hazardous damages to your speaker.
If You add some extra weight to the cone by using glue ore something like that, the TSP's will probably change too.

The best opinion would be to buy a reconing kit...

That's the reason why no cats are allowed in my humble home...
Old 8th October 2004, 01:58 PM   #9
Volenti is offline Volenti  Australia
diyAudio Member

I hear you can make good glue out of cat gut...
Old 8th October 2004, 02:37 PM   #10
Pan is offline Pan  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Silicone gasing out hazardous stuff damaging the speakers... I think not!

On the other hand silicone does not stick to just about any material.

Nasty glue for rubber innertubes is probably what you want, since it will melt the rubber and thereby fusing the two sides of the rubber toghether as one. Use it in a small amount at the back as someone else mentioned.

Donīt sue me if you destroy your surround though .

/Peter

Hide this!Advertise here!