Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2004, 03:13 PM   #1
VvvvvV is offline VvvvvV  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: oxfrd
Default How to measure driver size? Dimensions + standards etc

How do you measure driver sizes ? say I have a speaker that measures 150 millimetres/6 inches across the driver diaphragm, and 170 millimetres from one screw fixing point to the next across the diameter, that mean I need 150 or 170 millimetre driver?

Would 6.5 inch speakers be the right size ?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2004, 03:19 PM   #2
Mr Evil is offline Mr Evil  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Behind you
As far as I know, there is no standard at all. For instance I have a number of drivers that are 'officially' 6.5"/165mm, but measure anywhere from about 160-190mm across.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2004, 05:38 PM   #3
VvvvvV is offline VvvvvV  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: oxfrd
Is it best to measure the width of the diaphragm or the diameter in between two of the screw holes?
should I just get some 6.5 inches drivers and hope that they fit the 15 millimetre midrange bays on the cabinets?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2004, 09:46 PM   #4
DarrenK is offline DarrenK  United States
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dayton, OH

If a woofer says it is a 6-1/2", then that generally refers to the overall dimension of the driver. Across the frame at the widest spot. It really has nothing to do with the diameter of the actual cone.

However, as Mr. Evil pointed out, there is a lot of variation from manufacturer to manufacturer and it can be somewhat confusing.

The best thing to do is to measure the opening that you have in the cabinet, and then match that with the specifications for the opening cutout needed for the driver. So, if the opening is 6" or whatever, then look for a driver that will fit in that hole. It may be called a 6-1/2", 7", 180mm, 165mm, etc.

Personally, if you are saying the opening is 150mm, then that would be 5.9 inches, which will probably fit most 7" or 180mm or 18 cm drivers.

See ya,

  Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2004, 09:25 PM   #5
VvvvvV is offline VvvvvV  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: oxfrd
Lots of thanks Darren, that's excellent information!
  Reply With Quote


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Design suggestions for Odd dimensions/limited size Sub uzor Subwoofers 7 16th March 2007 10:53 PM
How to measure driver distortion? goldyrathore Multi-Way 3 30th March 2005 10:35 AM
Open Source Systems Driver Standards Mikett Multi-Way 4 29th March 2005 09:06 PM
Re of a Driver- How to measure dumrum Multi-Way 4 22nd April 2004 02:51 PM
Dimensions and driver placement Tai-Pan Multi-Way 5 16th December 2002 04:49 PM

New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:34 AM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2