Tannoy M 1000?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Audiophiles,

I was just looking for some advice on the TANNOY M1000.

What type of loudspeaker is this?
How good does it sound?
What would be the price tag currently?
What brand and price would you compare these speakers to?

If there is any more information regarding this, Please send me your reviews, as I have got some information but not enough to convince me that these speakers are one of the best. I am looking forward to buying a pair.

Your reviews would be appreciated.

TX,

Tony:confused:

Attachments

• tannoy m1000.jpg
    tannoy m1000.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 423
These use the HPD drivers, right?

I've never heard them, but I did used to own a pair of Tannoy's 3836s, which are essentially identical drivers to their current 15" studio monitors. I liked them just fine.

I'd bet these M1000s could school just about any current-production big-name home speakers under, say, $3000 (and that's being conservative). Depending on how old they are, you might have to refoam them and refurbish the crossovers.

Dart

Dartagnan said:
I'd bet these M1000s could school just about any current-production big-name home speakers under, say, $3000 (and that's being conservative). Depending on how old they are, you might have to refoam them and refurbish the crossovers.

Dart
I've owned HPD385's, Red 12's and 3828's and the earlier Alnico Red and Gold 15's sound better than the HPD's and the later ceramic versions. All with the pepper-shaker HF driver sound better than the Tulip waveguide versions that I've heard.

I agree with Dart, that they'd likely best most commercial speakers that are sane money. Foam surrounds are obtainable, relatively easy to fit (or get a local repairer to do) and the xovers seldom need more than a switch clean.

Thanx guys,

i bought these speakers, they are huge and heavy around 60 kgs.

They sound amazing and were in immaculate condition including the driver. I have had some decent sounding speakers but nothing comes close to this one. It's so realistic and smooth, can hear all the instruments played with life like sound.

One more thing What kind of Amp would be the best suitable one to drive these speakers, right now am running it with the Marantz vintage 2225 amp. I also have an adcom GFA 555 II power amp which I have not connect it yet.

Would this amp be suitable or is it too powerful?

Thanx,

Tony

Attachments

• adcom.jpg
    adcom.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 196
Tony.ca said:
i bought these speakers, they are huge and heavy around 60 kgs.
Congrats. May they bring you years of pleasure.
Have you opened them up to see which driver is in them yet?
One more thing What kind of Amp would be the best suitable one to drive these speakers, right now am running it with the Marantz vintage 2225 amp. I also have an adcom GFA 555 II power amp which I have not connect it yet.
Borrow anything and everything (decent) that you can get your hands on to try them with. Everyone has different tastes and what I liked for my speakers in my room, you might hate. I ran mine with a 2285B receiver for a while, and whilst OK, was not a patch on my tube amps.
Would this amp be suitable or is it too powerful?
Not likely to be too powerful. The T's will be quite efficient, so won't need a lot of power, and too big an amp will only cause damage if you run them waaaaaay too loud for most rooms.

In the short term, I'd suggest just listening to them as they are, enjoying and acclimatising. Worry about different amps later.

thanx brett.

I have'nt opened them yet. was wondering if I ever should cause the allen screws and the driver ring basket has'nt got a scratch on them, they are like brand new.

Apparantly these speakers were stored in for a long time.(years).

Thanx,

Tony

Tony,

I second Brett's advice about trying all decent amps you can beg, borrow, or (temporarily) steal. There's no substitute for listening.

Regarding amp power, IMO as long as you don't turn the volume up past the speakers' design envelope, there's no such thing as an amp that's too powerful. Whether capable of 1 or 1000w, the important thing about an amp is how it sounds.

The only connection between power and quality is the popular generalization that power and refinement tend to be inversely proportional--a generalization, again, and not a rule.

Many hours of happy listening to you,

Dart

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.