Phenolic Ring tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought a pair of Pioneer phenolic ring tweeters to replace some dying dome tweeters on my 1970s Fried Model Q speakers. The phenolic ring tweeters were the correct size to fit in the footprint of the old domes and costed less than the other domes. What's special about a phenolic ring tweeter as opposed to, say, a cone or a dome tweeter?

Also, was I stupid to replace the somewhat-mediocre OEM paper cone woofers with a pair of Pioneer poly-cone woofers (the ones with the clear cones)?

Rory,
This question has surfaced in one form or another several times before.
Substituting drivers into an existing speaker is unlikely to produce good results, as the specifications are not likely to match the specs of the original drivers. The results will be unpredictable.
Fried used Dalesford woofers a lot during that era--I don't know if they're still in business. He used several suppliers for tweeters, depending on the model. I don't remember what he used in the Q. Senlab, maybe?
On a related note--does anyone have the schematic for the passive crossover for the Model C kit? I once came across a set of the drivers, but the crossovers had been robbed for parts. I'd like to assemble them for old times sake.

Grey

The Pioneers work better.

Well, I got the Pioneer drivers today. The clear Polypropylene cones on the woofers give the speakers quite a distinctive look, and the Phenolic Ring Tweeters sound really good. The shrill horn line of a true Ska band sound even more lifelike, while Christina Aguilera's "Lady Marmalade" sounds just as punchy, even with my subwoofer turned off. The Fried speaker boxes are built like tanks. When I build my new Passive Radiator box for my two 8" pioneer subs, it will be quite a listening experience for my tiny bedroom.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.