Great project interest check - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th October 2004, 04:59 AM   #1
amisdad is offline amisdad  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Great project interest check

A few years back, I was in the market for some small speakers. I spent about 3 months traveling around and looking for the best speaker my money could buy. The closest thing to what I was looking for was the Vienna Acoustics Bach's. The last place I looked was my very local high end shop. I loved the Jean Marie Renaud Twins, but they were like $1200.00 for the pair on stands. The salesperson then brought out a pair of JPW ML510i's. I auditioned these with the Meadowlark Kestral's and the JMR's. All I can say is that for $350.00 the JPW ML510i's, sure did hold their own against these other two much more pricey options. Well, I'm in the market for another set of speakers! I want a set of ML510i's, but they aren't available anywhere, and never were. I think I own the only set in the USA. Anyways, I've come to the conclusion that I just might have to build clones of these wonderful loudspeakers! I will be building exact clones and I am just doing an interest check. Please let me know if anybody out there would be interested in reading a step by step tutorial on how to build clone's of this wonderful speaker. It will be my first online tutorial.
Old 6th October 2004, 05:07 AM   #2
amisdad is offline amisdad  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Changed my mind

What I actually meant was improved clones. Instead of the MDF enclosure and plastic baffle found on the original, I will use premium hardwoods, the same drivers, crossover and box dimensions. Still interested?
Old 6th October 2004, 07:15 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'll read the tutorial.
Old 6th October 2004, 08:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

sounds interesting...
Old 6th October 2004, 05:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Premium hardwoods?? It would be better to use particle board, MDF, or plywood, and then veneer them in premium hardwoods. Or better yet, make them from concrete. For a loudspeaker, you wand a very rigid, nonresonant structure. Hardwoods, while they look nice, are usually to resonant for a loudspeaker enclosure, and the reason you dont find them used for this purpose.

Hide this!Advertise here!