Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2004, 03:53 PM   #1
wxn is offline wxn  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Default Cheap, simple home audio

Hello everyone.

I've been thinking recently a lot about how to get a pretty good sound in my sleeping room for as little money as possible, with what is available here (mainly Visaton and nonames). And what I have come to is something like a big PC sattelite system. The two "sattelites" would be for example pairs of BG17 fullranges in small (20l or so) vented (I'd prefer closed, but then crossover freq. must be at least 180Hz, which is not very neat) boxes. Anything below ~120Hz would be fed to a powered sub-woofer. Nothing fancy, I don't want to upset my neighbours anyway. Prabably some Visaton woofer like WS17 or the like.
Active crossovers, 12 or 24 dB/oct. Included in the woofer box, together with amplifiers.
Favorite music being rock/metal, I don't particularly need very good super-highs or wall-shaking lows.

BG17:
http://www.visaton.com/english/artikel/art_608_1_3.html

Any comments appreciated.
Old 5th October 2004, 07:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Old 5th October 2004, 07:44 PM   #3
SQ Kid is offline SQ Kid  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to SQ Kid Send a message via MSN to SQ Kid Send a message via Yahoo to SQ Kid
do you by chance have any (cheap) access to Tang Band stuff? i can honestly say they are the best money i've spent on speakers so far and they cost next to nothing to build. i'm using them for my pc/bedroom along with a pc sub, and i refuse to get rid of them.
Old 5th October 2004, 07:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not a chance
As I said, the only better-than-noname speakers here are Visaton. There is some JBL stuff, but everything is heavily overpriced.
Ordering I suppose wouldn't be the best thing to do as shipping cost could easily exceed driver's price.
Anyway, any ideas on the current design?
Old 5th October 2004, 09:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

SQ, do you have any pictures of your Tang project or specs on it? I'm in the process of getting a bunch of the 871s speakers and was thinking of trying a mini line array with 4-8 per side, and crossing over around 100-120hz to a woofer on the bottom that will be powered by a small sub amp.

Thanks!
Old 6th October 2004, 02:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

wxn,

I have seen some discussion on the Visaton forum on the BG17. If you speak german you may find some useful info or they can help you.

Zozo
Old 6th October 2004, 02:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Yes, I know. Unfortunately, I speak lithuanian, russian, english, even french, but not a word in german tried babelfish and other online translators but with no success.
Anyway, I'm not asking opinions on this particular driver, more like wether this approach is of any use (crossover frequencies, sattelites, box type (vented/closed) etc)
Old 6th October 2004, 03:58 PM   #8
Mark25 is offline Mark25  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

for rock/metal music, polypropylene cones generally give more pleasure in a domestic environment. Although less accurate in some technical terms, (ie X-over nasties) the visaton WS20E in a 2-way configuration might be more fun for you.
Old 7th October 2004, 06:59 AM   #9
Mark25 is offline Mark25  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

if you got the WS20E or WS17, you could mate either to the bg17, you could electronically vary the X-over between 100 and 2000 Hz and see what your ears like best. You can run the bg17 full-range as a reference, or even buy just the bg17 first to see how well it suits your needs on its own.

If you adopt this approach and end up with the X-over quite high, you'll wish you bought a tweeter instead of the bg17 tho......

I'd still choose the WS20E over the WS17 due to the poly cone, given your music.
Old 7th October 2004, 12:26 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Actually, I see no point in using fullrange with woofer. The only thing that keeps up the idea of using fullranges, is the possibility to use several realtively small boxes with high levels of output with no crossovers in the most important freq. range (hence the double BG17). Thought that this approach would beneficial for music that contains a lot of guitar-like sounds.
I'd better do a traditional 2-way system with x-over freq above 4kHz then. I suppose sattelite-subwoofer combination is only appropriate with x-over below 200Hz, where the sound is pretty much not directional.
Another consideration is box size. My room is not so small but there is a lot of furniture and other stuff. So I'd rather have two hanging 20l speakers than normal floor-standing vented ones.

Hide this!Advertise here!