Ellis 1801bf for your inspection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Finished in fine bedliner. Used two cans of Duplicolor for the pair but needs a third.

The cabinet didn't turn out as straight as I wanted so I thought I'd try the aerosol bedliner so I didn't have to live with MDF boxes until I had time to rebuild. Really suprised the way it turned out. May never get around to rebuilding them.

Originally built as stand mounted (maple veneer and solid african mahogany baffle) but cut the driver holes wrong :bawling: after all that work. Mainly a cosmetic problem, but Excels aren't exactly drivers you want to cover up with a grill.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They sound great although a little bass shy in the new enclosure, probably because the port is too long. I'll fix that shortly.

Right now they are running off a Panasonic XR45 but usually they're powered by a stock AKSA 55 and sligtly modded Foreplay.

The rack contains an unfinished BrianGT gainclone, an AKSA 55, Dynaco ST-70 with cap mod, and at the bottom is an empty rack mount enclosure that will probably house a DoZ.

I've a grounded grid pre in the works and am debating whether to upgrade the Dynaco input section or the AKSA Nirvana mod. Have a lot of projects saved up for winter!

I built a pair of BrianGT's NIGCs, one with the tweeky resistors he offered and the other with Vishay-Dale RN60Ds from Welborne Labs. Both used 1500uF Panasonic FC capacitors and the same power supplies with a single 330VA 25-0-25 transformer per stereo pair.

I listened to them for a week or two before going back to the AKSA. I was very relieved that the time, effort, and funds invested in the AKSA proved to be worth it.

I haven't done extensive A/B-ing but the AKSA is definitely more spacious and 3D sounding. The NIGCs were fun and maybe they could use more break-in, but I strongly prefer the AKSA.

I'll use the NIGCs with other systems.

I did try horizontal bi-amping the 1801s with the NIGCs but the gain is slightly higher on one so it was either too bright or too dark.

For my next amp project I'm trying to figure out whether to perform the Nirvana upgrade on the AKSA or upgrade the driver of the Dynaco.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.