DIY 2004 Washington DC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Matt,

It's really too bad I won't be able to go again this year, because last time was really great fun and I learned more in one day than I had in months!

If I had been able to go to the event I would have been excited to demonstrate my active Kit281 system (I recently designed a PCB for it and I'm almost done building it up) which I am trying to make available to everyone else in the community... there's been some interest in it, it sounds really good, and it only costs about $200 to build one. The design increases the steepness of the filters by 12db/oct, lowers the frequency to 1.9KHz, and uses class A JFET buffers instead of op amps. With the Holton sym amps and a Zen for the tweeter it was starting to change the already good Kit281s into something extraordinary. Now that I am at college I went back to the regular Kit281s (for now) and it sounds kind of dull, grainy and muddy. Maybe you could tell the DIY crew about this and I will send out my prototype to other owners soon? :)

What speakers are you bringing?

Shame you can't go, this is turning out to be a fine show I think. I'm bringing my WWMT's dayton 7" aluminums, audax am130z2 mid and xt tweets, speaker cables, and bridgeclone monoblocks :) Should be fun.

Your kit sounds interesting. Too bad Holton is gone from this planet again.

-Matthew K. Olson

DIY Washington 2004

Just got back from DIY 2004

What a great time! I learned more in the one day at the show I could have after months of internet research. Thanks Matt for taking the time to put my speakers on the analyzer and all the suggestions I got to improve our sub $300 speaker project. If anybody remembers we had the speakers that looked better than they sounded ;)

I hope to make it to the Ohio show and bring down our $2,000 + no holds bared project that we have been working on for the past year and our Fostex full range folded horn project.

Sean

Great, I can't wait to see the pictures and descriptions. I actually have a few things I wish I could say to Pjay, like for example, the speakers we were talking about using the raffled-off PE 7" woofers for last year, did become a reality and my friend Jared has them in his dorm room in Cedarville, Ohio. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.