Midrange for my Uberspeaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a pair of Scan-speak R2904-7000 Tweeters, I have been leaning toward the Eton 11" woofer, but I am still up in the air regarding a midrange driver.

My choices are:
Eton 5"
Audax Aerogel 5"
Audax Carbon Fiber 5"
Scan-Speak 15m/....
Seas Excell 15cm Midrange
Seas Excell 15cm Magnesium Mid/Woofer

I think the 5" is the way to go but, I may be better off with a 6", I don't really know.

I am also still up in the air over wether to use 2-8" 2-10" or 1 10"-11" Driver in the bass.

I haven't seen the Eton used as a mid in any comercial designs. I have seent he Audax units used extensively in VonSchweikert designs. I almost never see a 5" Scan-Speak and also almost never see Seas used as midrange drivers.

Please Advise....

From an educated guess point of view I would lean towards the scan and seas drivers. From a technical point of view a rigid cone has plus points over the others because it lacks break up in its pass band. But its the sound that matters. I use the W15CY as a midrange and like it a lot, I chose it because of its rigid cone, but I have not got anything to compare it agaisnt directly.

I know it sounds better then the peerless 850467 poly cone, which is no slouch in itself. And it also sounds much better then the AP100ZO audax aerogel drivers I have but that comparison is unfair.

How do you like you sound?

(sorry for my english)
IMHO and direct experience the audax130 HDA (prestige series only)
sound very very natural. The others not!
But the 11 eton is very critical for a 3 way (see avalon eidolon and others: good enough but not outstanding,IMHO.)
I see a big work for your x-over!! . :)
Hi all !

I've had excellent experience with the better Audax 100mm aerogels (HM100Z series). My last project used a pair in an MTM, crossed over at 200 and 3500 Hz. I do not like the breakup behavior of the carbon-fiber drivers.

That said, I'll admit to having some Fostexes on order. The disadvantage of the wide-range scheme is control of horizontal polar pattern; if you're willing to do some work on your room (or you've got a soccer stadium-sized listening room like Nelson does), that's less of a consideration.

I will be using an active crossover to find my crossover points and slopes. Then I will transfer these points to a passive design. If all else fails I can allways switch to an easier tweeter to work with such as a S-S 9700 or a Seas Excel. I am finding though that if you ask 5 people you will get 5 distinct answers. I was oringinally going to use a scan speak, but then people were telling me that it wasn't a very good midrange. Then I was goingt o use the Audax Aerogel, and people told me that it had no resolution. so then I was going to match the woofer and use an Eton. And everyone kept recomending the Seas wich seems really overpriced for a plain poly cone driver. I am also hesitant becasue the copper phase plug will look out of place.

Still really confused.....

You will naturally get lots of different answers when you ask such as open question as "which driver should I use?" You haven't told us what your focus is, so it's difficult for people to make suggestions that go any further than "this is what I prefer ..."

I've heard some very high end speakers with both scan speak and seas excel mids. They are stunning with "audiophile music" but they can be very unforgiving for rock music. I prefer the sound of my MTM TL towers with polycones for regular not-so-well-recorded music, but when I listen to smooth jazz music, a well designed 3 or 4 way tower with seas or excel drivers can be breathtakingly real.

I think you would get more helpful responses if you ask about how well drivers you like will work together, and if they are suitable for your goals - resolution, crossover points, breakup issues, output, smoothness etc.

In the end it comes down to your preferences. When you have two competent drivers that will work in the same application, it's time to make a choice based on what you think you like most. It might even come down to "I like driver B as it looks better than A."

Goal for my results.

The goal I have for my speaker is to have the clarity of a wilson, or a Thiel but still be able to image like a Vonschweikert. I listen to a broad range of music, but overall presentation is most important. Also the bass has to be tight extended and resolved.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.