Midrange for my Uberspeaker? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2004, 05:26 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

You will naturally get lots of different answers when you ask such as open question as "which driver should I use?" You haven't told us what your focus is, so it's difficult for people to make suggestions that go any further than "this is what I prefer ..."

I've heard some very high end speakers with both scan speak and seas excel mids. They are stunning with "audiophile music" but they can be very unforgiving for rock music. I prefer the sound of my MTM TL towers with polycones for regular not-so-well-recorded music, but when I listen to smooth jazz music, a well designed 3 or 4 way tower with seas or excel drivers can be breathtakingly real.

I think you would get more helpful responses if you ask about how well drivers you like will work together, and if they are suitable for your goals - resolution, crossover points, breakup issues, output, smoothness etc.

In the end it comes down to your preferences. When you have two competent drivers that will work in the same application, it's time to make a choice based on what you think you like most. It might even come down to "I like driver B as it looks better than A."
Old 4th October 2004, 06:13 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Goal for my results.

The goal I have for my speaker is to have the clarity of a wilson, or a Thiel but still be able to image like a Vonschweikert. I listen to a broad range of music, but overall presentation is most important. Also the bass has to be tight extended and resolved.

Hide this!Advertise here!