GEC Metal Cone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I've just acquired a pair of these. I'm not overly sure exactly what they are and was wondering if anybody here could give me any more information, where to get specs etc.

What I do know is, they:
  • date from the early to mid 1950's
  • have a screw in "presence unit" (tweeter?)
  • measure about 8inches across
  • are in "home built" to GEC design octagonal housing about 3feet high by two across
  • measure about 3.5 ohms with a multimeter - the previous owner reckons them to be 15ohms though I'm not sure about that
  • are very efficient - about 2.5watts is loud
  • sound absolutely fantastic, loads of presence, detail etc and surprisingly plenty of bass

Any details/specs would be great. Also how do I care for them - not that they seem to need much they spent about 20 years in a damp barn up on the moors and don't seem to have suffered too badly!

I've built a small JLH class A amp for them for now which sounds great but will probably pair them up with a GEC 912+ or similar later when I know more about them. Any ideas what would "suit" them best, they deserve to be well paired

Cheer in advance for any info

Dom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.