port turbulent jet noise. any advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
paulspencer said:

Your vent should be flared on both ends to perform at its best.

Another way to reduce port noise which has not been mentioned is to use a rumble filter. This reduces the velocity further and can make a big difference.

is it realy work? I never made it before. ok. thank you. I'll try.

about rumble filter. do you mean low-pass filter? I have it. 12 db/oct. 12-14 hz. :( wont make it higher.
and no another filters. anyones. it's always make sound poor

It's not necessary to cut through the vent with the router if you use a separate mounting ring, which is in fact an easier way to make the vent presentable.

Attachments

• vent flare with router.gif
    vent flare with router.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 82
thank's for picture, paulspencer! it's easy for understanding.
pity, but even egg-glass port with exponential borders couldn't sound well. it's has lot of distortion, cutting-off effects. less a little then simple pipe.

that's right. I can't change law of physics.:(
but I realy get acceptable quality level with smaller port diam - 50 mm instead 75 mm, 100 mm, 2 pcs of ports diam 75 mm.

probaly it's ok for me, but I'll test any more ideas

Try some stuffing. You can get it from any material shop pretty much (ask for pillow stuffing etc) and see what the results are, you can experiment with varying amounts until the port noise is gone. If stuffing the port rolls off bass response too much and you can think of no other options you might consider converting it to sealed and adding a powered subwoofer to do the bass instead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.