disadvantages of using second woofer for BSC... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2004, 04:54 AM   #11
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
Quote:
Originally posted by rabbitz
I was under the impression that if the driver was in a box and the box was against the wall you didn't have to worry about BS as there cannot be any loss from wrapping around the box as in effect it's still in 2Pi.
you may be right. maybe for on wall speakers the BSC is not as important as the freq. response aberations that will come from the speakers being located so close to a room node.

Quote:
Originally posted by Timn8ter
I tend to agree with this thought. I think a bigger issue may be the tendency of FR drivers to have a rising upper end response.
that is why i am looking at the FX120 instead drivers like the of the FF125K. The Jordan JX92 also does not exhibit this rising response except on axis in the HF.

my reasons for using fullrange.
1. my max box size will be 10-12 liters so I was going to be limited to a small woofer (4"-5") anyway. most small woofers are useable upto 4k and a XO at 4k+ between a 1" tweeter and a 4" woofer means the c-c distance of the 2 drivers will be 4" (100mm) at the least (I knw few tweeters that have no flange like Vifa D26NC). With a c-c of 4" we would be looking at interpolar interference coming in at about 3500Hz. so to avoid this i figured why not look at fullrange drivers. some fullrange drivers like the JX92 have about the same Xmax as 4" woofer so I would not be sacrificing much in the LF end.

2. with a 2 way using a 4" or 5" woofer and tweeter one would have to contend with XO design. I have come to believe that not only do caps adversely affect the sound but also do larger inductors (above 1mh) even if they are aircore and DCR is kept low. Maybe it is some sort of energy storage in the inductor that is realesed after a time delay that causes some sort of smearing etc..I cant put my finger on it but I have a gut feeling that larger inductors store have a detrimental effect. This BTW is also the reason to use a 2nd woofer instead of a BSC. Most BSCs involve larger inductors.

My short list of fuillrange drivers that:
1. have a relatively level freq response and can be used in a sealed or aperidoic box
2. dont need more than 12 Liters (0.4 cu. ft).
3. cost under $150 each ($1000 for a set of 7)
4. dont need a tweeter or woofer even for HT use (there will be subwoofer below 100Hz for the LFE signal)

gives only 2 drivers
the Fostex FX120 and the Jordan JX92. Both surprisingly have a OD of 135-140 mm. Other suggestions are welcome.

Hide this!Advertise here!