Is a mini T-line effective?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You'd think I could get everything in one post. :xeye:

I can't decide whether to do the Fostex project suggested above, or the TB.

It's interesting. If you look at a graph of a TB 871 with Zaph's notch filter you think "it doesn't get any better than that" and yet there's something about the sound (tonality?) of the Fostex drivers that I just like. I don't think it shows up on a graph anywhere, it just sounds better to me.

Timn8ter said:

The first thread contains the dims for the 871S ML-TL that I posted earlier.
I doubt that the 871 would work well in something tuned for the 1197. Better to go with the dims above.
In case anyone is interested, dims for W3-881S cab:
L = 18
So and SL = 24 sq in
1" diameter port 1" long
Driver at 50% of L
tuning ~65 Hz

Aha! I found the complete T/S parameters for the 881. I plugged them into MJKs TQWT worksheet, and I got a flat response to 90Hz, then an F3 ~80-85 Hz. That's with .5 stuffing. This is very good. Very good...

Dave

Rudolf said:
BTW: What does "Willikers" mean? Couldn´t find it in the dic.

Since no one seems to have answered you on this one, Rudolf, "Willikers" is simply an American expression of surprise, as in "gee willikers". I believe it is a derivation of "gee whiz", itself from the exclaimation "jesus" (that's a word you have to pronounce in an English fashion to get it). ;)

falcott said:

Since no one seems to have answered you on this one, Rudolf, "Willikers" is simply an American expression of surprise, as in "gee willikers". I believe it is a derivation of "gee whiz", itself from the exclaimation "jesus" (that's a word you have to pronounce in an English fashion to get it). ;)

An even further variation is "jumpin' gee willikers". Good job falcott!

I was playing with some numbers and found that a single FE127E could be transferred directly into the same enclosure I'm using for my bipole FE103E speaker with satisfactory results. Could be helpful for close wall placement.

Tim
I did the Pico line at the Seattle DIY with a few changes.
Well everything.
Line changed in size, and filter completly different over te Pico.
I also did a ported design last year at my NW DIY and Dave took them apart in 30 seconds after he purchased them.
To find out what driver hehad never listened to before.

Al

RAW said:
Tim
I did the Pico line at the Seattle DIY with a few changes.
Well everything.
Line changed in size, and filter completly different over te Pico.
I also did a ported design last year at my NW DIY and Dave took them apart in 30 seconds after he purchased them.
To find out what driver hehad never listened to before.

Al

Yeah, when I met Dave the first thing he did was hand me a prybar to tear a cabinet apart.

:D

We will hope he (Dave)can make this DIY event in November in Surrey again.As We have afewnew itmes I think he will like very very much.
Looking for a location over my place.
This will have alot more room as well as a room to do measurments as well.

More will come on the NW DIY event.

Al

Hi,
I´ve built a little ML-QWT as given already in this thread.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33101&perpage=10&pagenumber=1
Soundwise it´s far superior to a standard BR I´ve modeled in WinISD and also in comparison with a sealed (obviously as it goes deeper and sounds fuller).

Only problem with the Tangband is the limited SPL.
It´ll have a bad power handling playing on it´s own no matter what you do.
Despite that it´s a very nice speaker and you won´t regret having bought it anyway. As the reponse is very linear you can combine it with a cheap 6.5" or similar.

Now, how can you explain maximum excursion to your wife?;)

Talking about dipoles you might find that thread especially interesting:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=9706&highlight=

Cheers

joensd said:
Hi,

Only problem with the Tangband is the limited SPL.
It´ll have a bad power handling playing on it´s own no matter what you do.
Despite that it´s a very nice speaker and you won´t regret having bought it anyway. As the reponse is very linear you can combine it with a cheap 6.5" or similar.

I meant to add that I'm glad about your experiences with the TB. SPL will not be a problem. It's all about ambient music, not serious listening. I'll probably never desire to improve this project soundwise, given that I perform adequately in putting the thing together.

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.